error installing xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by AmarSingh, May 2, 2002.

1. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

i built a new comp for my friend and im having trouble installing xp pro. the farthest ive gotten is when booting from the cd i get a stop error 0x0000007e on acpi.sys which comes up as setup finishes loading. Ive tried flashing the bios and turning off power management in the bios, but that is as far as i get.

amd duron 1.2 GHz
    ECS K7S5A mainboard
    128 mb pc133 ram 1 DIMM
    MSI GF2 MX-400
    maxtor 40gb

the only things ive got hooked up are video, floppy, hard drive and cdrw. the bios sees them all. i need some help fast.

2. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

See if this helps.

3. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

thanks man, but i already checked the MSKB. its the first place i look. and btw, i dont have a logitech keyboard, and its not when i shut down...i cant even install...thanks anyways man

4. SupaTek

SupaTek OSNN Addict

Most install problems are caused by graphics or controller cards.
    It's probably your graphics card. If the mobo has built in graphics, set it up on that and install the graphics card later.

5. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

theres no built in graphics, but ill swap it with a card from my computer and see what happens

6. Machiovelli

Machiovelli Guest

installing xp tip

You are having a problem with your ACPI during install. What I would recommend is, when you boot up off of the cdrom to perform the initial installation, (blue screen with text at bottom) press and hold down the F5 key. About half way through this portion of setup , it will ask you if you want to install acpi or standard pc. Choose standard pc option and then let it continue with the setup and see if that works for you.
    If it doesnt, then you may need to flash your motherboard BIOS to a newer version.
    Just a thought, and hope it helps you out.

7. Bob S

Bob S Guest

I've seen this problem. Go to the Microsoft site and down load the install floppies (6). Then install using them.

8. synapse

synapse Guest

Yes, boot using the 6 installation floppies. =)

9. l0g0ut

l0g0ut OSNN Addict

i've had the same problem ... it turns out to be a scratched cd.. why don't you try getting a replacement cd...

10. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

SUCCESS!!

Success!! I got it to work..i used a different cd and installed a new fan..no more lockups! sweetness.

11. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

YAYYYYYY!!!!!!:D