Error 1681.........

B

banter

It's another Partition magic problem.
I have an active drive that is ntfs and try to convert it with pm7 to fat32. It requires a restart but when i do a blue screen (just before the login screen appears) with an error message "Error 1681 While Executing Batch
Error 1681 : Data is compressed or Sparse, File 638 (128) "

What does this mean and more importantly - how do i get around it ??

1681 error according to powerquest's website: http://www.powerquest.com/support/primus/id1062.cfm

"Cause(s) of the problem
There are compressed or sparse files on an NTFS file system that is being converted to FAT. Since FAT does not support sparse files and the compression technique used by Windows NT, 2000, and XP on the FAT file system is different than that used with NTFS, the compressed and sparse files would be unreadable if the conversion were performed."

powerquest's master error list: http://www.powerquest.com/support/primus/id817.cfm

I have gone to those sites and tried the "solutions" the first few didn't make any difference but the one using btini.exe to locate the compressed file i think could work.
BUT when i follow the instructions an error

Wrong number of arguments for / FRS
Bad Argument/Parameter
Invalid Command

These all appear at once.

here's what i entered :
A:\BTINI/FRS 0 : 628

Is that what i was meant to do ?

sorry man, i'm not sure. i don't use partition magic. i'm an fdisk fan. i was havin some fat32 problems converting to ntfs a while back. all i did then was back up all my fat32 data to zip drives and cd-rs and fdisk and repartitioned and reformatted everything, converted the entire drive to NTFS, and washed my hands of fat32 for good.

Good Luck... I have never been successful in going from NTFS to FAT32. Going the other way is a snap. But, the compression problems I've not been able to get around, even after uncompressing. I use PM 7. Frankly, I would not want to go back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back