Empty Start Menu - please help

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by segamil, Aug 10, 2007.

1. segamil

segamil OSNN Addict

I recently installed a new copy of Vista on my wife's computer. We don't know how but somehow she lost all the recent programs and icons on her start menu. The programs are all there but I can't figure out how to get them back on the start menu. I attached a screenshot so you can see the problem. Any one have any ideas how I can fix this?

Attached Files:

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

they will come back as you use applications a few times.

Quick way is to open and close the apps you want there 4 or 5 times so they stick :)

segamil likes this.
  3. segamil

segamil OSNN Addict

Thanks for the response LordOfLA. I just went ahead and tried that, but still no go. I wonder if it might have something to do with one of the tweak programs we used.

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Try this...
    • Right-click the Taskbar, click Properties.
    • Select the Start Menu tab, and click Customize.
    • Look for the "Number of recent programs to display" option, and set it to 9 (default).

5. segamil

segamil OSNN Addict

Solved!

Ok, it was Vista Smoker. I think I used an automatic tweak setting after I installed Vista. I reset everything back to the original default settings and the start menu box is once again populated with recently used programs. Thanks!

6. segamil

segamil OSNN Addict

Hey NetRyder,
    I tried that but it kept coming back empty. as it turns out, it was a tweak program that caused it to disappear. Wife's happy again :)
    thanks for the quick response - that's why I keep coming back to OSNN!