EAX distortion fix?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Glass, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Glass

Glass sgàthan ìnnleachd

I have a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS with the latest Creative drivers and updates, and it works fine except when EAX is used, there's this awful crackling noise. I'm aware of the kX drivers but they don't support EAX. I bought this card specifically for EAX and I can't even use it! Any fix/workaround/tips? That don't involve disabling EAX?

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i don't know. it's a new card so you'd think they woulda fixed that issue by now.

- maybe try a different slot.
    - if you don't have the latest bios, do that.
    - mess with your pci timings in the bios. sensibly, of course.

3. Glass

Glass sgàthan ìnnleachd

Yea I tried everything listed in Creative's FAQ, no luck. I also noticed that EAX environment effects work (although sometimes with crackling) but if I try to use any Advanced EQ effects there is no sound.

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

This is where I usually return the product and swear never to buy from the manufacturer again.

Add up the hours you spent working the issue and figure out how many upgrades that would buy for your PC if you spent those hours at work getting paid.

5. Glass

Glass sgàthan ìnnleachd

'LeeJend - This is where I usually return the product and swear never to buy from the manufacturer again'

Mmm, I think this is my last Creative purchase.

Anyways I have heard that a lot of people have a lot of different sound issues with the Audigy 2 ZS line, so here's a small zipped MP3 of what rain sounds like in Splinter Cell with EAX on. Not too pleasant on the ears.

Attached Files:

6. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

ouch! that's some painful rain. :mad:

7. devynal

devynal The Idiot Circus Boy

Hard to say, bro. I just purchased an Audigy 2 ZS and have had no trouble so far. Tried several games with EAX and no cracking/popping.

8. Glass

Glass sgàthan ìnnleachd

devynal, how close is your Audigy to your GeForce? Like, how many slots away?

9. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I have experienced the same problem with various iterations of creative drivers...

now I know ati a coupla years back had bad drivers :D BUT... no one has made as consistently terrible drivers as CL has :)

the static noises and random pops are all part of what I have grown used to till something else fixes it..

roll back to an older driver revision or get a turtlebeach or other product :(

for what its worth though.. the HARDWARE itself is pretty decent from CL...

OT... to give you some perspective... CL's drivers don't even detect my audigy since I installed it in my current system so I canb't update drivers... only use the stock default original ones...

10. devynal

devynal The Idiot Circus Boy

Glass --

------ GeForce
    _____
    _____ Audigy
    _____
    _____
    _____

1 AGP, 5 PCI --- the way it looks it's 3 slot holes away, but looking at the board, it's 2 physical away.