Earth tremor?

We're not that far from a plate boundary. Most of the serious hills and mountains in the UK are long extinct volcanoes so I can see fault lines slipping overtime as being realistic.

Ah. Thanks for the info. :)

I can't believe I slept through it, it happened only 10 mins after I fell asleep. Hubby and son both felt it though and said it was quite strong, sons window started rattling and the stuff on top of our drawers in the bedroom were rattling and shaking.
Hubby woke me to ask "Did you feel that? I think we had an earthquake" I just grumbled at him for waking me up and told him he was dreaming. He went to ask my son who said he's heard and felt it too.
I was having trouble sleeping last night then when I did eventually drop off I went and missed it didn't I :rolleyes: :speechless:

From my local news.

Teesside rocked by quake.

TEESSIDE was shaken by an earthquake today - the biggest to hit mainland UK for almost 25 years.

People from across the area, including Middlesbrough, Guisborough, Redcar and Hartlepool, spoke of their shock at being shaken from their beds by the 1am tremor.

Cleveland Police control room was inundated with more than 200 calls. Cleveland Fire Brigade also received numerous calls but it appeared the region escaped any serious damage.

One of the UK’s 140 seismic monitoring stations is at Cassop, near Hartlepool, which recorded 5.2 on the Richter scale.

John Wilson, 52, a carer for his wife Susan, of Cranfield Avenue, Middlesbrough, was woken by the quake and found a crack in his living room ceiling. He said: “We were all in bed at 1am. It just started to rumble, it vibrated. The lamp and things on the drawers all vibrated.

“My son’s wardrobe vibrated. There’s a crack in our living room ceiling. There’s a gap there. You can see the boards have split.”

John, who lives with Susan, 51, and sons Jonathan, 29, and Paul, 24, added: “At first I thought there had been an explosion or something. I thought ICI.

“I think I’m more shocked now to find out it was an earthquake.”

High rise tower blocks in Stockton started shaking

Last edited:
Woke my Mum up in Leicester. Felt nothing in Aberdeenshire.

Although that extinct Volcano out the back has started smoking again :eek:

^ LOL :D

I didn't think earthquakes were possible over the UK.

They aren't.

But UNDER the UK, they are quite possible :smoker:

The average incidence rate of moderate to high strength earthquakes in the region are extremely low due to the location of the islands.

^ LOL :D

I didn't think earthquakes were possible over the UK.

I read earlier that Britain gets 200-300 quakes a year but most are so small we don't notice them.

The largest earthquakes in the world occur close to plate margins, areas of the Earth's upper layers that are being rammed together or pulled apart. Tremendous energy is released when these rocks break or grind past each other.

The UK lies well away from the world's tectonic hotspots but these processes still play a role in the country's relatively small tremors.

Many of the quakes in the UK are clustered around an enormous block of rock known as the Midlands Microcraton. This is an ancient, Precambrian (older than 590 million years) feature that runs up through Birmingham towards the Potteries.

It is composed of harder rocks than those either side of it. Although the details are not well understood, it seems likely that, in response to tectonic pressures originating in the Atlantic (where the surface of the Earth is being pulled apart), those softer rocks on either side are disturbed

There are a number of active faults that line the Midlands Microcraton and many of the tremors experienced on the western side of the English Midlands, up to the Pennines, are a result of rocks jostling in this area.

Britain also feels the effects of earthquakes in the North Sea. Here, the crust is much thinner and it is also marked by large numbers of faults.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back