DVD writer drive not recognising DVD media

smoothyuk

OSNN Junior Addict
Here's a strange problem, I've had some trouble getting my LG DVD writer to take burnt DVD-/+R's (at this point it's the only DVD media at hand), while the drive is empty it's recognised as "DVD-RAM drive" in explorer/my computer (yeah that's normal for an LG super multi drive), but once a DVD disc is inserted the drive takes on the "CD Drive" description and displays no files. I've taken the drive out and rigged it up using my Nexstar 2 external hard disk enclosure so that I could test it over USB...same issue, although when I take that rig over to my laptop it works fine. Very strange.

At first I suspected Starforce but after running the most recent starforce remover app there is no change. Any suggestions or comments?

Try a firmware upgrade, if that doesnt work, then try it in a different computer, if it still doesnt work, then the writer's laser has seen the end of its days, they eventually die out, if it still under warranty by the manufaturer send it in, if not just get a new one they are cheap now a days. I have seen a couple friends of mine where the laser just died out like that, but they had lite-on. My 8x DVDR plextor died on me last year and stopped reading CDs, but read dvds.

I eventually reinstalled XP and it started working as normal again, it's just weird that it would quit reading DVD's, it's like something convinced the drive it was a CD Writer and nothing more. I already knew it was a software issue as it worked through USB on my laptop (but acted the same weird way via USB on the desktop).

So problem solved, but obviously at this point I'm being careful what I install, I'm sure somewhere along the line the same problem will resurface, I just hope I am at a point where I know for sure what it was that I installed to send the drive crazy.

Thanks for your reply anyhow. :)

Cool, glad it works, thats why i had mentioned trying it in another computer. Either way, those lasers on these new DVDR burners dont seem to last that long.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back