Dvd Drive Problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tom91, Aug 16, 2006.

1. tom91

tom91 OSNN Junior Addict

Hi,
    Ok just a quick question would a bad Dvd drive make a pc go unbelivibly slow were the mouse lags and the programs in the background almost come to a stop. I ask because today when going to install Hitman Bloodmoney off the PC Gamer demo disk it turned my pc into the slowest thing you have ever seen. It did this a bit back but after re-instaliing windows it worked fine untill today.

2. tom91

tom91 OSNN Junior Addict

any1

3. yalooze

yalooze OSNN Addict

Did everything turn back to normal when you ejected the disc?

Sometimes if a disc is a bit scratched/hard to read windows can go a bit crazy attempting to read it, which uses up a lot of resources for some reason. Once you eject the disc everything goes back to normal however.

So if not, then I'd say it's a different issue, but I may be wrong. Give it time for others to reply. People are in all sorts of different time zones here.

EDIT: Also, when your computer slows down, hit ctrl+alt+del and have a look under the processes tab to see what's using up all your cpu.

4. tom91

tom91 OSNN Junior Addict

Yh as soon as i eject the disk every thing goes fine. But I dont think its the disk because it does it with every disk i try even new ones. would it have the same effect if the Dvd drive is Nackered?

5. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

there is a possibility a dying drive could exibit those symptons. The laser could also be dirty and thus unable to read the disc and causing those problems. You can either try a CD/DVD cleaning kit or buy a new drive (drives are really cheap now a new one would be better, could get a faster one or a burner).

6. tom91

tom91 OSNN Junior Addict

Yh i was thinking of buying a new drive but i thought i would ask first. I was just wondering if it is the drive how come it fixed after i re-installed windows.

7. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

If a reinstall fixed it then it was probably a software/OS issue. However if the problem comes back then it is definately a hardware issue.

8. tom91

tom91 OSNN Junior Addict

So your saying because it has come back again its more than likly a hardware problem and i should buy a new Dvd drive?

9. tom91

tom91 OSNN Junior Addict

Can you reccomend any good ones