DVD drive icon

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by AmarSingh, Dec 3, 2001.

1. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

I need to change the icon for my dvd drive but i cant seem to find where im supposed to change it in the registry. I have a dvd drive and a cd-rw with drive letters m and n respectively. I can find the key where the shell icons are stored (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\current version\explorer\shell icons) and I can change the icon for the cd-rw by changing the value of # 11 in this key, but there is no value that changes the dvd drive icon (see http://www.virtualplastic.org/html/icn_reg.html ) I'm pretty sure that they can be seperate icons cuz the one visible now is different and a little mangled and there is an icon in shell32.dll,177 that has a dvd drive overlay. Can anybody help me out???

2. Akash

Akash OSNN Senior Addict

what about those theme/icon changing programs?
    I think there may be a link to one in downloadssection

i remember vaguely changing icons in win2k using XP icons a while back....check it out

3. AndyP

AndyP OSNN Senior Addict

4. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

thanks.....i tired that program but it doesnt let you edit drive icons.......ive used one that does (icon packager by stardock) But that doesnt let you pick a different icon for each drive. Any other good icon chaging programs?

5. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

I found a program that lets you do it, but I read that xp doesnt let you have different icons for different drives yet. It seems true since i changed it and it went back after i restarted. Oh well.

6. Akash

Akash OSNN Senior Addict

give up while u can :p