DVD drive disappeared!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jojopet, Feb 9, 2004.

1. jojopet

jojopet OSNN Junior Addict

I was installing some software last night and after a reboot at one point I noticed my 2 DVD drives wew no longer showing up in My Computer. I went through Device Manager and saw they are listed there, but with the yellow question mark showing their status. I tried to do an uninstall of the drives and reinstall (both through add new hardware and through a simple reboot). the drives get reinstalled, but the questionmarks remain with no sign of these drives. On a related note, can a sofware "crack" cause this type of problem?

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

If you have a restore point available from before you installed the software, then I'd do a system restore. As far as a "crack" causing it... I'm not sure but you're gonna be on your own when it comes to warez-related discussion.

3. mnfesq

mnfesq OSNN Junior Addict

sounds like a driver problem to me. either wrong driver got installed or a driver conflict. I'm curious to know what software it was and what the message is for the drives with the question marks in hardware device manager. System restore might work. Also, uninstalling the software. Lastly, see if you can update the drivers and then see what choices you get. Try to install the driver from your OS installation disk.

4. jojopet

jojopet OSNN Junior Addict

I found this for my problem:

Restore Missing CD or DVD Drive
    Reports have filtered in that CD or DVD drives will suddenly cease to exist in XP systems. Most often this has been reported in conjunction with program installations and Windows upgrades, but it has also happened for no apparent reason. This tweak will restore the missing drives after a reboot.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
    Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
    Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data values.
    Exit Registry and Reboot

It was DVDXCopy that I installed. I'll try this fix tonight. Any others with a similiar situation?