dvd burners

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
im looking to buy a dvd burner
and my question is
does having either 2 mb of cache or 8 mb of cache effect the drive's performace

how exactally does it factor into the drives performance??

The cache on the drive helps when it comes to underruns. More cache means that the burner can store more information in memory for burning while gathering data from the computer. If the computer slows for a second or two, more cache means that the computer can continue to burn data until the computer catches up. If the cache runs out of data before the computer can catch up, you'll burn blank data (underrun). This, of course, was eliminated through the use of "Buffer Underrun" technology which prevents this.

Now, on DVD burning, a lot of 2mb cache DVD burners do not have underrun protection for DVDs. This means that you could have the same problem burning DVDs (usually, 2mb DVD burners have CD underrun protection).

ah so if i get a 2mb dvd burner i want to make sure it has buffer underun protection
thank you :)

the best dvd writer right now is the nec 3500, if u cant afford it which i dont think anyone who is getting a dvd writer will have that problem, u can go for the nec 2510 or the 2500 which can be updated as the 2510 which is dual layer

yea nec 3500 is great i have it i burn CDs and DVDs and i get no problem

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back