dvd burners

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by celticfan11, Oct 7, 2004.

1. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

im looking to buy a dvd burner
    and my question is
    does having either 2 mb of cache or 8 mb of cache effect the drive's performace

how exactally does it factor into the drives performance??

2. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

The cache on the drive helps when it comes to underruns. More cache means that the burner can store more information in memory for burning while gathering data from the computer. If the computer slows for a second or two, more cache means that the computer can continue to burn data until the computer catches up. If the cache runs out of data before the computer can catch up, you'll burn blank data (underrun). This, of course, was eliminated through the use of "Buffer Underrun" technology which prevents this.

Now, on DVD burning, a lot of 2mb cache DVD burners do not have underrun protection for DVDs. This means that you could have the same problem burning DVDs (usually, 2mb DVD burners have CD underrun protection).

Lee likes this.
  3. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

ah so if i get a 2mb dvd burner i want to make sure it has buffer underun protection
    thank you :)

4. Kush

Kush High On Life!

the best dvd writer right now is the nec 3500, if u cant afford it which i dont think anyone who is getting a dvd writer will have that problem, u can go for the nec 2510 or the 2500 which can be updated as the 2510 which is dual layer

5. yea nec 3500 is great i have it i burn CDs and DVDs and i get no problem