DVD Burner Sony DRU-500A

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mike521, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Mike521

Mike521 Guest

Hey if anyone can help me out with this burner that'd be great. I just seem to be having a problem making a backup copy of my DVD movies.

The bundled software quits when it gets to the copyright message on the DVD.

So I used Nero (5.5.10.00 -- the latest version on their website) and that seemed to work perfectly. I did "Copy DVD" and it read the DVD and stored an image on my drive. Then I put in a blank DVD+RW (could have used - also, I just chose + ) and it copied everything over and said burn pocess successful.

However the movie won't play, it says file format is invalid (it says this in my computer). Then I tried it in my playstation 2, and then my Sony DVD player, and neither one could read the disc.

Nero's website doesn't officially list the DRU-500A as supported, so I suppose thats the problem.

Does anyone know of a way to get this working, while I wait for Nero to support my drive? Thanks so much if you guys can help me!

2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

you don't think the makers of that movie made it that easy to copy a dvd did you ??

not going to get help violating copyright laws here

[​IMG]

3. freightgod

freightgod Confused and Bewildered

It is perfectly legal (in the U.S. at least) to make a backup copy of a videotape, compact disc, cd-rom or DVD that you legitimately own. The Supreme Court said so. It said so before the advent of DVD, but the principle still applies. Visit this page for a non-profit education on your "copy-rights."

The only software that will make a copy of a copyrighted DVD at the moment (that I am aware of, anyway) is DVD X Copy.

4. Mike521

Mike521 Guest

thank you freight!! much appreciated! I'll take a look at that site :)

I'd heard it was legal to make a backup, but I wasn't completely positive, and personally I don't care lol. If I wanna make a backup of my stuff for my own use thats my decision. I'm not going and selling it on the black market. Just like I like to make copies of my music CD's to bring in the car, so that if my car gets broken into and they steal my CD case, I won't lose my whole CD collection.

Anyway thats all besides the point, thanks again I appreciate it, I knew someone would be helpful :)

5. ditchhopper

ditchhopper OSNN Addict

Try DVD-R or DVD+R Your ps2 and dvd player cant read RW. But if it wont play on your puter it was a bad burn. How can you copy a dvd anyway? Arent most dvd's like 6 or 7 gigs? PC dvd media only holds 4.7g unless your using double sided dvds, but Im not aware of any burners on the market that can do that???? I thought the only option was to rip the damn things down and that I imagine would be illegal.

6. Mike521

Mike521 Guest

well I just copied my movie so I'm happy!!!!!!! :D

I copied it onto a DVD-RW, and it played in my computer and it played in my sony DVD player. It would not, however, play in my PS2.

That's a good point about maybe the PS2 can't read RW discs, I'll try an R on my next backup, but all I have right now is RW's anyway.

For the record, what I did was use a different program called "Smartripper" that I found for free on the net, to rip the DVD onto my computer.
    Then I used Nero to burn the DVD onto a blank DVD.
    This particular movie only took up 4.3 gigs of space, so I've actually got space left over on the DVD lol

Illegal or not, I am making a backup of my own movie in case the original ever gets scratched or something, and I see nothing wrong with that.

7. ditchhopper

ditchhopper OSNN Addict

Wow, Hows it look and play. I might give that a try.

8. Mike521

Mike521 Guest

it's awesome! its EXACTLY the same as the original! perfectly clear and crisp. I didn't do any kind of video editting to make the movie smaller, I just did a straight copy and burn, I don't wanna decrease the quality of my movie at all.

Although while I was digging for info about this, I came across many sites on the net that recommended using various different encoders to shrink the movie size. Mainly by decreasing the audio quality and making a small decrease in video quality. They mostly touted the "divx" file format. But whatever, I'm not looking for that, I want an exact copy.

so anyway it worked great and I'm psyched! Oh by the way I made a mistake in my other post, I didn't copy the movie to a -RW disc, its a DVD+RW (in case you have a sony DVD player also).

9. ditchhopper

ditchhopper OSNN Addict

Where'd you find this Smarttripper? I'd like to give it a try. Ive lost a couple of my dvds. My dog ironically ate Reservoir Dogs and the Matrix was destroyed in a "drunken hootenanny". Ive messed with Divx a bit but I can only get it to play on my puter and the quality just isnt there.

10. Zodiaq

Zodiaq Guest

Unfortunately when you try to backup a DVD that's larger than 4.38 GB...your not going to be able to make an exact copy unless you split it to 2 DVD's....

Can't wait for 9.4 DVD-R media and Drives that will burn Dual layer...life will be a lot easier;)

11. ditchhopper

ditchhopper OSNN Addict

And more expensive.

12. Mike521

Mike521 Guest

lol that sucks ditchopper.

I was thinking to myself that soon they'll come out with drives that burn dual layer DVD's, but how long am I gonna wait.. by the time they come out with those drives, they'll have invented a new "tri layer DVD" and then I'll wanna wait for that too lol its a vicious cycle. so I'll work with this for now.

I found smartripper by going to yahoo and typing "smart ripper" two words. I think I dl'd it off of a foreign language website, I just was lucky to find the link. Hang on lemme find the site...

here it is:

http://digilander.libero.it/divxdoor1/swpage/smart.html

click the link at the bottom.

I ran it with my movie in the drive, and it first tried to "unlock" the various movie files, and failed. It told me to "try unlocking them with a player" so I played the movie with my DVD playing software, then ran smartripper again, and it unlocked everything. Then I copied the DVD to my drive. It seemed to make a couple of mistakes--2 files were smaller than what they were on the DVD. Then I went to the "files" section and copied those two files individually, and they were correct in size. Then I exited smartripper and loaded nero and burned from there. Here's a tutorial I found on the web that tells what to do with Nero:

http://www.highvid.com/DVD/nero1/nero01.shtml

and that should do it :)

I suppose larger movies can be split to two DVD's somehow, but I haven't gotten to that yet.

13. ditchhopper

ditchhopper OSNN Addict

Downloading now. Ill try it later. Thanks.