dumb subnetting question

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by BouncingSoul, Aug 29, 2010.

1. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

Trying to updated a Cisco 4400 WLC through TFTPD, which is the tftp server Cisco says to use. I have all the software I need but it won't communicate. I have only one guess as to why. Cisco says the server and the WLC need to be on the same subnet. The WLC is on 192.168.99.100 and TFTP server is at 192.168.96.69. Would I need to have the server be on a .99.xxx address as well? Is that what it means by same subnet? I'm not much of a networking guy.

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I think they mean the server and WLC need to be under the same router.

3. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

they don't need to be under the same router.. same subnet is correct.

Assuming you're using a /24 subnet (ie: your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0) then yes, they both need to have the same first 3 octets the same to be on the same subnet.

If you're trying to updated the WLC through the service port, then yes - they will need to be on the same subnet as the service port is not routable. If you are updating through one of the distribution ports, they should not require you to be on the same subnet.

4. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

I finally got it.

It was either the subnet problem or a problem with my TFTPD setup. I don't know which it was, all I care about is that it's working and I don't need to worry about ARP storms anymore.