Dual-Core CPUs...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by melon, Mar 20, 2005.

1. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

I know they're not out yet, but I'm curious as to what everyone's opinions of them are? Do you think they'll have the same performance as two single-core CPU setups or that they're a bunch of hype?

I'd love to get a four-core CPU setup (2 dual-core CPUs on a dual-processor motherboard) someday. ;)

Melon

2. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

From what I have read Dual core cpus wont have to much of an impact on daily computing for quite a while. Games will take some time to get on the wagon as well, the Unreal 3 engine does however support multiple threads and some apps do as well. So you would see a general increase in performance. I think dual core will help a bunch down the road but when they first come out it wont be to much.

Thats just my .02

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Dual-cores will probably par with dual single-cores, yes. The impact will be instant if you have more programs running at the same time or software that supports multiple threads (like Photoshop for instance). Games will get there eventually, and I think they will adapt fairly quickly.

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

No need to get two cpus with dual cpu motherboard. You can do this with 1 Intel dual core cpu with HT apparently.

At the moment, dual core cpus are effectively two cpus squished into on big chip/wafer or whatever you call it. I doubt they'd perform any better than two single cpu.

5. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

I don't do a lot of gaming, as much as I do video and 3D work, which can really lag (especially the latter). I eventually want to have a PC capable of HD video work. That's really why I'm interested in technology improvements.

Anyway, I'm not going to build a new computer until at least 2006. Computers are really in quite the transition period right now, and my Athlon 2400+ works quite fine for now.

Melon

6. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

For video and 3d work one or more dual-core cpu's will be fantastic. 4 cpus in the space of 2, 8 in the space of 4 etc...

Ofcourse as has been stated already the biggest gains will be on multi-threaded applications, of which video production and 3d modelling/rendering usually are.