Dual booting mayhem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by coathanger007, Nov 20, 2003.

1. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

Having all sorts of BSOD problems. In Win ME when I insert and eject a CD, sometimes erratically I get BSOD saying system halted file protection error. I've already limited memory to 512MB (Win9x limitation).

Now I can't even get into XP (2nd OS) because of some weird unmountable boot stop error. Scanned HDDs are fine. I'd nearly completed my triple booting striped RAID system too. VERY ANNOYED!

2. coathanger007

Just had a blackout midway scanning HDDs for errors - what else could possibly go wrong?:D

3. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

what order did you install them in? should be oldest -> newest I believe.

4. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Also a more descriptive stop error might be of use :)

5. coathanger007

Yeah everything installed in order. ME then XP. Gist of stop error is unmountable boot volume. I think it has something to do with overclocking so I underclocked PCI frequency and reinstalled XP - again. Hope this works. Noticed PCI RAID controller worked after shutting down then powering up PC giving time to cool.

6. coathanger007

Cool - PCI frequency was the problem. XP has full stability once again. Still having probs with ME though (lots of techies have said it's a brain damaged OS anyway). Somehow XP is outperforming ME in 3Dmark. Suspect it's the beta ME drivers rather than the OS. Both OSes are super-tweaked to the best of my ability.

7. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

ME=Major Error, if you want two OSs use win98se/xp or win2k/xp

8. joshuajme

joshuajme Guest

Good call, I hate to sound like one of those gimps that says ''you dont wanna use that, you wanna use this" but windows ME was really really bad, If you need 9x compatibility use a dual boot machine with windows 98 on (shouldnt have to if the xp compatability mode worked!!).

9. coathanger007

Trust me I know - I've got ME because at the time when it first came out I got it at a really really good price - I only use it as a secondary OS thank goodness :)