Dual Boot with XP / Vista Problem

mightymo

OSNN Junior Addict
OK this is the deal. I have a C: HD with one big partition with XP Pro that I've always used. I recently got a 120GB HD and broke it up into three partitions. On one of those I installed XP again and currently using it as my primary OS (D: ). On E: I installed Vista. When I reboot first I get a dual boot screen for either Vista or Legacy (XP) OS, after that I get another boot screen for which XP Pro to boot into. I reformated the Vista partition cause I no longer wanted it. I still get the Vista / Legacy dual boot screen. I DO NOT want this, I want it to go away. I deleted that entry out of my boot.ini but it's not working, I still get the screen. Can someone please help me.

Last edited:
This was a really strange problem. What happend was Vista has a different boot loader then NT/XP. So it created a \boot folder and a bootsect file on my C: drive. What I did was deleted that boot folder and the file, as well as my boot.ini folder. That fixed the Vista dual boot screen during boot up. Now it's back to normal, the only dual boot screen that shows up is for my XP partition on my C: drive and XP partition on my D: drive. The only problem now is that under those two choices I have an option for "Windows (default)" which will automatically boot into my C:, but from this point forward I want to boot into my D:. But it's just a matter of hitting the up arrow twice and hitting enter so I don't mind. Just glad I got that Vista screen out of the way.

That's not all that surprising, different Operating Systems, especially newer ones, tend to have different boot loaders.

Regardless, glad you got it sorted :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back