dual boot question

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Perris Calderon, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I want to dual boot without uninstalling vista, does windows 7 try to go to "c" or can I just go to an existing partion with no problems?

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

which ever OS you boot will insist that it is c:

3. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

If you want to daul boot, your best option would be to get another hd and put the os on that. Then get a drive selector. ...

4. Perris Calderon

got it. that's what I'll do

thanx

ps, my vista partion sizing only allows me about a gig to resize even though I have almost 100 gigs available, any idea why that is?

[edit]

it's becuase vista doesn't defrag free space, will have to do that with third party software before I can use vista to resize this drive

also, what's the smallest volume I can install vista since I'll be using a differant drive for storage.

thanx

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  5. Johnny

You should be able to get away about 20 gig, perris if you are minimalistic in what you put on ... I have 50 gig for my vista partition and still have space left...

6. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

I've got vista installed on a 32GB partition on my MacBook Pro, it does complain when you install if you give it less than 50GB. With 32GB and just a couple of apps installed, games on an eSATA drive I still only seem to have 3 or 4 GB free.

7. Perris Calderon

thanx everyone, I wound up installing it onto 20 gigs of a 250 gig native hardrive

I did have a boot problem going back to vista but the startup repair worked, (even though it reported that it did not work, go figure)

8. Johnny

I am glad you got it working, perris ...