dual boot question.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mafiafromrussia, Oct 31, 2002.

1. i've got windows ME on C: drive and windows XP PRO on E: .

they are on 1 HD just different partitions. i'm thinking of formating C: but because that windows dual boot thing is there (boot.ini, ntldr.exe) and all that crap. so i'm wondering how do i get it back after i reinstall windows ME?
    do i just put in xp cd go to recovery and use something like rebuild boot command ??

2. come on, some one has to know this stuff for sure.

3. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

after you install ME, XP will become the master OS, so in XP just go and edit the boot.ini loader to include the ME OS. You will be using the NT loader...

4. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

after you install ME, XP will become the master OS, so in XP just go and edit the boot.ini loader to include the ME OS. You will be using the NT loader... Is that the answer you were looking for ?

5. Binary

Binary Guest

First of all, copy these files to a safe place: ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini and bootsect.dos. Then format your C: drive and reinstall WinME. Use WinME to copy those files back to the C: root. Then boot from WinXP CDROM, use F10 to go to the Recovery Console, log in as Administrator and perform a fixboot. That should but the WinXP bootsector back in place and allow you to dualboot again.

Recovery Console: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058

By the way Jz1397-4 : after reinstalling WinME you cannot boot WinXP. So how can you use WinXP to edit the boot.ini?

6. ok thanks for explanation Binary. it's just my XP in on NTFS, so i'll just copy the files to floppy.