drive won't display

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bluzeboy, Jun 26, 2005.

1. bluzeboy

bluzeboy Bluzeboy

i just formated ,i have 2 drives,but only my root (c) drive is accessable in computer managment it shows as being healty the same in device manager it will not let me assign a letter 2 it ( its shadowed out) how can i get it 2 display?

http://img61.echo.cx/img61/1879/drives8ih.png

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I'm a bit confused by your request. Are you trying to change the drive letter of your "C" drive? If so you can't as Windows won't let you. :)

3. Mainer82

Mainer82 Binary

I'm confused as well. The screen shot doesn't help much either as it doesn't reveal the whol screen...

4. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I think what he's trying to say is that he can't assign a drive letter to the other partition. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. bluzeboy

bluzeboy Bluzeboy

i'm trying to get access to the 2nd HDD it is not accessable windows doesn't display the 2nd HDD under my computer where it was displayed previously & was acccessable,i just want access as it contains all my music files.
    i just want it too display.

your exactly right dreamliner77

6. dreamliner77

and you can't right click the drive in admin tools and give it a lettter? Obviously it's there and has volume info.

7. Mainer82

Mainer82 Binary

Ok, so Windows does not see the second HDD. Does the BIOS see it? What are your jumper settings set to on both drives?

8. dreamliner77

Look at the pic. Windows sees it. It just isn't "usable"

9. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Long shot>>>>>>>

Go to the device manager. Find your drives & right click on the problem one. See if you can enable it in there. Also maybe try doing an 'add hardware' search in the control panel. As dreamliner77 said windows picks it up but has messed up somewhere.

You could aslo try unpugging the second drive, boot up, see if it is gone, it should be. Reboot, plug it back in & see what happens.

10. tzepp@cox.net

tzepp@cox.net high

I had the same problem when I installed my SATA. Drive C & D were both showing up, but I couldn't access anything on D. Somewhere I right-clicked the drive and selected "mount" but I can't remember where I found that. I've been looking everywhere.

11. dreamliner77

You might have some luck looking at Partion Magic and setting the drive as an active partition.