even if paging has been disabled
thats why you dont get a bsod when RAM is full

the best solution is more ram
768 meg works well for me
play games all day & XP still flies

:cool:

Originally posted by Polygon-Paradox
The decimal value is "38".

Those are the exact same hex and dec numbers that were reflected in the reg when I switched from optimize for progs to background and then switched back to optimize for progs. The original numbers were 0 and 2. I guess XP automatically switched it to those values cause I didn't change them.

Anyhoot. I left it at the 26/38 that it was auto set to and restarted.

Originally posted by GoNz0
hmm will this stop the slowdown when coming outa games me wunderz

Thats what I was referring to. XP runs smooth as silk, but when you want to play a cool game that has memory leaks/or is just an all around resource hog I notice slight stutters/lag when loading/exiting.

All of you hardcore gamers propably know at least one of the games I am talking about. :D

Games like Ultima IX and Wizardry 8. :D :D

Gotta be honest here, couldnt quite follow this thread through all the bickering and hex values, so if someone will be kind enough to simply tell me if there is anything i need to DO, i would greatly appreciate it Running an old laptop and any tweak is a good tweak to me.

In any case don't apply the DisablePagingExecutive tweak on a system that is low on RAM. It could become unstable.

An added positive side affect

Hey Polygon-Paradox dunno if you noticed but ever since I applied your tweak I no longer experience deletion errors.

Has anyone else noticed this? Remember it used to be that you would get an error message stating something like unable to delete it is being used by another program or something similar.

Especially if you wanted to bypass the recycle bin by holding down the shift key.

Well just want to thank you because it has now resolved that issue for me at least :D

oORaidROo that is usually caused by XP's preview feature. It can also cause folders with lots of AVI files in it to hang when accesses them, at any rate, what you wnat to do (or did) is to delete the default registry value here:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler]

thx

I will definately keep that in mind, however as I indicated it stopped happening since applying Polygon-Paradox tweak. So maybe between both tweaks/fixes we now have a choice.

Originally posted by B~B
Those are the exact same hex and dec numbers that were reflected in the reg when I switched from optimize for progs to background and then switched back to optimize for progs. The original numbers were 0 and 2.

I guess XP automatically switched it to those values cause I didn't change them.

Not taking shots or anything but....I'm still confused as to how this is a tweak when XP assigned the values automatically?

The default value is "2", even if you have "processor scheduling" and "memory usage" both set for programs. By adding/changing it in the reg to a value "26" makes it permenant and take hold.

I know I've noticed a difference.

I didn't touch the registry and the values were changed 26/38.

I haven't noticed a difference yet.

Think about it!

If your reg values where already set to the tweak numbers then you won't notice a difference.

I on the otherhand didn't even have the DWORD value let alone the Hex ;-)

With that said I definately benifitted from it.

Happy to help Raid. :D

If everyone would try my tweaks without letting their opinions and ego's interfere they would see that I know what I am talking about and that I am only here to help. ;)

Thats why i haven't been around for a week, because I am tired of everyone bashing my tweaks. Why waist my time if people want to be ignorant? :mad:

After working for Microsoft and Dell I mull over Windows code in my sleep. LOL Not to mention my friends who are still at Microsoft which provide me with all the info i could ever want. My NDA expired a long time ago so i can blab all I want. :D

Don't stop posting

Hey Polygon-Paradox, there are tweaks that when applied are in your face noticeable, and others that are behind the scene type tweaks that help to prevent things from going wrong.

Have you posted other tweaks on this board? I think I read where you said you were relatively new here.

Trust me when I say don't take it personally, there was thread started about posting tweaks (its a very good thread), and it is full of huh's, I don't get it's, WTF's :) but nevertheless it was useful and most benefitted from it.

With your background working for M$ I am looking forward to future posts.

Keep'em coming!!!:p

Hey Polygon-Paradox...grow some skin dude. No one has bashed your tweaks. There have been some questions but I haven't seen anyone saying your tweaks suck or don't work.

Maybe if you provide a little more explanation about what your tweaks are supposed to do (as you've eventually done here) in the beginning it'll go over better.

Please allow me to shed some light on the subject.

(Copy and Paste)
This one's for experts. The length of time which Windows executes one thread before it can switch to another thread is referred to as a quantum. These intervals can be fixed or variable, long or short, and can be biased towards foreground or background threads.

By editing the process quanta control settings you can get much more precise control over how your system schedules threading. For instance, if you've got a server that runs primarily background processes, you'll want to set the system to favour those and use long fixed-length timeslices to let everything run in as much a parallel fashion as possible.

The key that holds this information, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl, has a value named Win32PrioritySeparation. This value is a bitmask, so setting it can be a little tricky. Start with the value 0 and add the following values to it.

If you want to set the ratio of foreground-to-background threads to:

3:1, add 2.
2:1, add 1.
1:1, add 0.​
If you want to set the lengths of the quanta to:

Variable lengths: add 4.
Fixed lengths: add 8.​
Variable-length quantas are useful if you have some processes that kick in and use a lot of CPU intermittently, but don't run non-stop. This way the OS can adjust the amount of time devoted so that timeslices are more evenly distributed between processes.

If you want to set the intervals for quanta to be:

Shorter: add 32.
Longer: add 16.​

eg. 38 =

Short, Variable Length with 3:1 allocation.

I use 20 so I have Long, Variable Length with 1:1 allocation.

Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back