Double loading of files

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dacsue, Jan 15, 2004.

1. dacsue

dacsue Guest

When I start up I have two copies of start up programmes loaded. One is under a user name (NT Authority) and the other is under (Default).
    It takes ages to load. What can I do?
  2. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Check these four registry keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ Shell Folders
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Explorer\ User Shell Folders
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ Shell Folders
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Explorer\ User Shell Folders

Look in the right pane for items called Common Startup and Startup. One of these entries may point to the wrong folder.

The values for startup should point to
    %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup or
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

The values for common startup should point to
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup or
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If you find an entry that isn't right doubleclick the value and change it.

Before making any changes rightclick the key (folder) and choose export to backup the key.
  3. dacsue

dacsue Guest

YOYO - thank you but although I made the corrections in the user folders I am STILL getting the same thing with NT Authority and Default (with the odd user) loading the same files.
    Any further ideas?
  4. dacsue

dacsue Guest

I also notice thatthere are default, NT Authority and user for the programmes with accessories etc apparently loaded 3 times? and 4 startup groups - me, allusers, NT authority and default.
  5. yoyo

yoyo _________________

What kind of programs are we talking about? Can you give examples?

In case you are referring to processes like svchost.exe loading several times, that is normal.

Those startup groups you mention (especially this NT authority) where do they appear?
  6. dacsue

dacsue Guest

I looked in msinfo32 -programme groups.
    They are:-
    startup -default user: startup
    startup - me
    startup -allusers
    startup - Nt Authority\system:startup
    I cannot, as yet find out where they reside to explore them

7. yoyo

yoyo _________________

That is perfectly normal. Doesn't mean that there is actually something starting several times.
    Look in taskmanager - are there duplicate entries under applications or processes that should not be there?
  8. dacsue

dacsue Guest

The only duplicate seems to be svchost.exe which is running in 6 different plases including three under system.
    sorry I may have put in a red herring with the programme groups.
    It is the start up that appears to be the problem. I may have to bite the bullet and re-install. Any advice?

Thank you for all your help