Doom III on SomethingAwful

Petros

Thief IV
Something Awful had a nice little write-up on Doom III today. Those who have played it will get a pretty hard laugh about it.
If by the time you read this post it's been pushed off of the main page, SA has a handy little search. This thing is funny...

Lowtax said:
The theory behind "Doom 3" is that lighting, the stark contrast between "not being able to see anything" and "not being able to see anything but randomly aiming into the shadows and shooting something throwing fireballs at you," creates a strong sense of horror and tension much like in the movie "The Ring" where the dead chick in the well threw fireballs at Naomi Watts...

...When we think of our favorite video game moments, not a single one of them revolves around shooting a barrel which either catches fire or explodes. And as awesome you think the idea of "simultaneously spawning a bad guy in front of you the exact moment a bad guy spawns behind you" is, most of us generally don't agree.

http://www.somethingawful.com/

hehe, they had a writeup the weekend before the game was released :D

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2289

Of course, the reason I'm bringing all this up is because Doom 3, widely anticipated for it's pitch black hallways and plastic monsters, is almost out! For those that don't know, players will take the role of a space marine on a planet with angry monsters, snooty scientists, and exciting darkness. Your mission objective is to prove that you have the fastest video card possible and defeat Hell's evil minions who won't shell out five-hundred bucks for a ten percent performance boost that yields roughly five more frames per second and a little spout on their computer that serves up fresh maple syrup. Many people were worried that the game would run terribly on older hardware, but thanks to id's patented "Can't See ****!" technology, Doom 3 will run great even on a STD Velocity 128! id accomplished this fantastic feat by covering the world in darkness. What this does is take substantial load off the video card by not rendering useless things such as walls, monsters, and ammo pickups.

...After reading that list it becomes perfectly clear why folks whose lives revolve around getting a game early and posting pictures about it on the internet are wasting their weekend trying to find someone to sell them the game.

Yes, considering it's somethingawful.com...I'm sure he was joking :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back