does the slim ps2 play svcds

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by the_music_man, Mar 26, 2005.

1. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

does anybody know if the slim pstwo can play SVCDS ? i really got some that i wanna watch

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

uhm if the big one did then the little one can. they just shrank it.

3. or you could just play the video on your computer

4. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

No, it can't.

5. Jozhik

Jozhik OSNN Addict

can't play svcd on pc - how about using a tool to convert it to dvd - could do that with Nero, for instance...

6. SPeedY_B

You can play SVCD on PC (Windows, Linux, Mac, almost anything) Converting any sort of *CD to a DVD is a complete waste of time.

Firstly you're trans-coding already compressed material, losing yet more quality. Secondly you're wasting 2GB+ on something that was likely only originally ~600MB.

If you want to play SVCD's there are plenty of Applications such as ZoomPlayer, PowerDVD and VLC which will play them right off the disc, or some even from images.

7. the_music_man

i know how to play them on my pc lol. i wanna play them on my pstwo. is there any firmware so it can play that

8. Taggert_LOA

Taggert_LOA Modding Addict Political User

one thing that should be mentioned about the slim ps2 is that when powered down it only goes into a standby mode, still generating heat. if you are unaware of this issue i suggest owners of the system unplug it when not in use.

9. the_music_man

no it doesn't

10. SPeedY_B

My post was aimed at the person which I quoted. Not you.

You can't play VCD/SVCD's on a PS2/PStwo. Not even with firmware. Unless someone out there makes specific software to do it (The dreamcast had a player, put it in, swap out for your video disc.. done.) then you're not going to be able to.

11. Scooter

Scooter Random Apple Dude

argueably it does. think about it. when you put the ps2 into standy/sleep/whatever you wanna call it, the small LED turns red. based around basic electronics-come-physics that small LED, while on, emits an amount of heat. as such, i argue the ps2 emits an amount of heat :crosseyed:

to be honest, i couldnt care less wether or not it does or doesnt. i'm just bored and thought i'd post this for your consideration :p

12. the_music_man

yeah someone needs to make one. i think the xbox can svcds with firmware :speechless:

13. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

You need to mod it, you lose your warranty, and you could fubar it. I found out the hard way :p

14. SPeedY_B

*resists pointing and laughing*

*runs away*