Does anyone have a TiVo?

I don't have a TiVo, but we do have a Dish Network subscription, which included a 100-hour DVR unit.

I find the DVR indispensable now, especially since I don't have a TV in my room while I'm at university. I've set up the DVR so that it records all the TV shows that I want to watch during the week, and I watch all of them when I go back home on weekends. Being able to skip through all the ads is also a nice added bonus. :)

I haven't really looked into what benefits and additional features a TiVo offers over one of these, but I'm more than satisfied with the DVR unit we have. 100 hours is easily more than what I need, the channel guide and DVR UI is pretty intuitive, and there are a number of nice features, like the ability to automatically skip recording a particular episode if it's a re-run, for example.

Net you should buy them a slingbox and throw them onto the web for yourself.

You can put it into a standby mode, but its not really a fast and easy to get to function.

tivo button (main menu) > Settings > Standby

hope that helps :)

Aprox, I saw that feature. But I assume since it is burried it is not necessary.

American Woman, thank you for your input.

DVR is rather nice as it does turn off, uses the clock (which I wreckon it pulls down through the coax since it resets itself after an outage), and "wakes up" when needed to record programs.

Mine is better than yours - pfffffffffffft :p

Nothing is better than TiVo. At least according to what I've read and who I've talked to.

What are some of the features that make it better? Justify your statement please.

I can login via the 'Net and program my TiVo. TiVoToGo. SeasonPass. It uses my wireless network to download firmware/OS updates, program guides, etc.

I only spent 30 minutes playing with it yesterday. Rather cool stuff.

Very interesting features indeed, not sure how much I would use them though.

Firmware/OS updates seem like the nicest thing, mostly because Comcast has no warranty behind their product and just offers replacement - which would make you forfeit anything you have on the HD of the DVR :(

Well, you got me. I think the new version of Media Center (and I've read good things about Beyond TV) is better than TiVo, but that wasn't an option. Good post though.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back