Do I need new sound card for speakers?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AaronMcarthur, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Ok, you know how you can get a split wire and attatch your stereo speakers to your sound card. Then you will have music playing through your stereo. Well lets say I wanted to go and buy two speakers for about $40 that put out maybe 100Watts, how would I be able to hook them to my computer and would my sound card allow that much wattage?

Peaceee.

2. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

You would need to run a 1/8th inch mini (trs) plug-to-rca (male) cable to the aux (or tape, dvd, etc) input of a reciever/amplifier that was then wired to them there speakers. [Unless, of course, they are powered speakers]

3. What do you mean already powered speakers?

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

You'll always need an amplifier for speakers. Sometimes (like in "computer speakers") the amplifier is built into the speakers (they have a power cord). Normal stereo speakers normally do not have builtin amplifiers. Then you'll need to connect the to a stereo or deicated amplifier.

The lineout of your computer can hardly output any wattage at all. Headphones are pretty much the limit.

But if you want to split the signal there are adapters that do this. I have one that has one 3.5 mm male jack split into two 3.5 mm females.

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

a cable like this:

[​IMG]

6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Aye, Best way to do it ;)
    I've got my PC wired into my hi-fi, cant be doing with tinny little PC speakers.

7. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Note: That cable won't allow you to connect two sets of speakers to your computer if that's what you're after (like comp. speaker AND stereo).