do any of the geeks here work out? i got some questions

Do not, under any circumstances overwork yourself. It's far worse than not doing enough. Do a 3 day workout - focus on a muscle group or two each day, and alternate.

Day 1: Arms.
Day 3: Legs, back.
Day 5: Chest, cardio.

And remember, it's not a race to knock out as many reps as you can, do slow out, slow in. 3 seconds each way, 3 sets of 8 of as much as you can safely handle (don't be a superman, you'll hurt yourself) going slowly is far more effective than 20 super fast reps.

I disagree with tdinc though - yes, protein is great for building mass, but carbs give you energy. Without them you wouldn't have the energy to do the work. As for supplements, not true. Supplements are just that - they aid muscles growth and can help stop you getting to the point of anaerobic breathing, which is dangerous. Get some chain aminos and some direct protein. Research shows that after a light work out your body can require 250% more aminos than at relaxed, so imagine what a heavy workout needs! If you are trying to bulk out, get some Progain. Maximuscle products are my recommendation - you can't go far wrong with them, other than they are expensive.

If you have any questions just ask, I'm not an expert, but my dads friend is current squats champion of Britain, and is going for the bodybuilding championship next year. He bench presses 400lbs, and is my best source of information, not to mention he owns a fitness store and gives me 40% discount! :D

is there a difference between working out every other day to working out everyday?

as in working out, i mean cartio and weights. doing both not just focusing on one.

canadian_divx said:
is there a difference between working out every other day to working out everyday?

as in working out, i mean cartio and weights. doing both not just focusing on one.

Working out evereday will not give the body the time it needs to rest. This is why most people suggest working out 3 days in a week.

I keep meaning to get a decent rowing machine, just haven't had time to look :)

I go every other day, and if I can't hit that cycle I just pick up where I left off. Sometimes I take 2 days off in between, my schedule is a bit hectic. A few years ago when I was only in school and not working, I lifted 6 days a week and just got plenty of sleep. It rocked, but I find I can lift much heavier these days, and I hurt like a mofo the 2nd day after ;)

I agree though, healthy mix of cardio and rest, combined with EVEN muscle development (i.e. if you do lower back, do abs), and you should be good :)

I actually saw a commercial on TV the other day, and was enticed by the Cross Crunch. I have had it for about a week, and will never use anything else. It really can give you a full workout in 90 seconds...

www.crosscrunch.com

does anyone know of anything other than buying something? or certian things to do at the gym or what not?

all about the treadmill and the ski machine. pop on some tunes wam.. but.. hmm its been months since i last went to the gym. what is it about a girlfriend that makes us lazy lol./

That means the girlfriend is stopping you from looking at women at the gym. :laugh:

My workout.

Monday through Friday, pushing pens.

Saturday and Sunday, picking up beer bottles and knocking back shots.

Amazing workout that :cool:

Jokes aside, just do something simple if you don't have that much time, I personally prefer workouts related to flexibility rather than strength thraining.

I do a little boxing and workout abs a fair bit. I have a high metabolism so I am naturally, um, fit I guess is the right term and I used to swim a lot when I was in my o and a levels and I have a similar physique to what I had then (not quite as trim but haven't gotten a beer belly yet :D )

Well, without buying, there are some exercises (some of which have been mentioned) which one can do, such as pushups, going for a walk/run, etc...

In any case, as far as workouts go, here's what I've been doing:

- Walk to/from class (during semesters). And though this might not seem like much, with parking not nearby, and carrying a heavy back pack loaded with school books, this can constitute exercise.

- Weight lifting

- Have done some cardio from time to time, but the sheer amount of walking I need to do during semesters probably covers that...

- Tia Chi

Now on the lattest, I want to give a piece of advise/word of warning, which has had me hesitate a little mentioning.

With any form of martial art (and different people have mentioned studying different forms in this thread), it is far more important IMO to find a good teacher, then which style one is studying. Lets just say that I was lucky to have found good teachers right off the bat. My teachers fall in a lineage (with their sifu in Hong Kong being of a rather well respected lineage, falling in line with the Dung family lineage, master Dung, aka Chung Tin's sifu having been a direct student of Yang Cheng Fu).

In any case, many years ago, Ginny (the junior of our 2 teachers) asked if they may call him sifu, and Chung Tin accepted them as students and lineage holders, and signed them up in the martial arts community... Charly (the senior of the 2 students), though he didn't place himself there, other students of Chung Tin have ranked him as one of their sifu's top 5 students. I didn't know any of this at first, and consider myself more lucky then anything to have found good teachers, right off the bat.

Probably not worth mentioning names to people one might never run into, but there are other teachers out there that sell real snake oil (aka $5,000 for the secret lessons of supposedly pushing someone with their chi, or some other mumbo jumbo/magicians tricks that, well doesn't quite work...) Yes, like anywhere else there can be charlatans, who in this case pretend to be masters but are not. Some have also showed up where Chung Tin was teaching, and lets just say weren't taken too seriously by anyone there; though some less familiar might be fooled at first...

There are other people (one in Albuquerque here) who's secret method as he calls it is combining acupuncture with Tia Chi, the form looks bizare, and again, well not really effective :laugh:

Then there are others, such as this one who's reputation is for injuring his students, quite frankly going psycho on them. This one student who came over to where we were practicing in the park one Sunday spoke with Charly and Ginni afterwards. She was a former student of this person, who going to help one of her Tia Chi brothers, he hopped on his motorcycle, chased her down and was like "Now I'm going to have to beat you up for that..."

She was scared sh**less, and afraid for her life...

'nuff said, and a word to the wise. Make sure to find a good teacher (if you decide to start studying any martial art), and if something strange like this is going on around you, heed your own intuition.... These sorts of things are not the signs of a good teacher, and in cases such as the above it is not just a cultural thing ;)

First - I love this site:
http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

Second - do the math! Weight loss is all about arithmetic. Calories burned must exceed calories consumed (minus calories regurgutated). You can acheive this by counting fat grams, carbs, or calories. Calories is the best approach because you can inadvertently replace say "fat grams" with "carb grams" when doing one of the fad diets.

Grandmaster said:
Oh and I have a question of my own.
I want to lose some weight, and then bring it back with some muscle.
I've read it is easier to either lose all the fat first and then build the muscle, or vice versa. Because it's supposed to be hard to do both at the same time.

Personal References:
I have lost well over 250 lbs during my life time. My wife lost 85 pounds over the last 2 years. I've pumped iron off and on for the last 35 years. I'm currently rebuilding myself after 5 major surgeries in 18 months. I could barely lift 5 pounds when I started. I'm up to 25 pounds now after 6 weeks.

Weight Control:
The only method that works is to stop eating more calories than you burn.
Anything else is a scheme to make some fat doctor and his fatter publisher richer.

Exercise by itself is not adequate to loose weight. At best it is temporary and at worst it will increase your appetite actually causing weight gain. The resulting increased apetite and stretched stomach will saty with you after whatever stops the exercise program. (When I say temporary I mean over "years".) Most exercise programs crap out after 3 months no matter how strong your intentions due to lack of cash to pay the gym, lack of time, illness, injury, life changes (kids, spouse, job). This is the reason most gyms require 1 year contracts.

Exercise:
Use exercise to build or restore muscles and use caloire control for the fat loss. This is a long slow process. Start light! 3-5 pound weights depending on the exercise. Start at one set of 5 repititions. If you feel any strain back off to 1-3 pounds or just use sticks and rubber bands to get a full range of motion back. When you can do 3 sets of 10 repetitions of an exercise add 50% to the weight and start over at 1 set of 5 rep's.

There are multiple types of exercise -
Aerobic - for cardio vascular health and endurance
Strength training - good but should not be done exclusively
Pumping up - (this should be outlawed, it is counter productive)

Aerobic
Exercie bike, tread mill (walking), rowing machine, stair stepper. Never jog, it is the equivalent of hitting your joints with a hammer. Running is less destructive but not feasible indoors and I know several people who were killed or crippled while street running. Using an outdoor track makes you weatehr dependent which leads to a faltering exercise program and

Strength
Free weight, weight machines (best, safer, progressive resistance), rubber bands, isometric.

When you build muscle you require extra protein, minerals and vitamins. This conflicts with loosing weight where you MUST reduce calories. Most high protein food is also high in calories.

If you find a good exercise calorie guide it tells you how long you have to do a given exercise to burn calories. It is DAMN depressing. A bagel w/light cream cheese at breakfast costs an hour on the exercise bike every day. Exercise for weight loss is just not time effective.

Get to know the calorie content of every morsel of food that passes your lips. Your waist line pays for it so you should know the cost.

How did my wife and I do it (diet that is). Several ways have worked:
1) DO NOT EAT OUT! Restaurants have a machine in the back room that directly injects calories into your servings and waist line. Fat and sugar are what makes food taste good. That is how restaurants get you to spend 4-10times what groceries cost to eat at their place. My wifes nemesis was the Starbucks Frappacino (a days supply of fat and sugar hidden in a cup of coffee) and the Whopper (44 grams of fat, a 2 day supply).

2) Skip meals (or almost skip them) and make up for the lost nutrition by increasing protein, veggies and fruit at other meals.

3) I actully, unintentionally invented the Low Carb diet in 1971. I lost 30 pounds in 28 days and actually had more energy. I basically only had one slice of bread a day the rest was meat, yogurt, eggs and veggies. Total weight loss was 50 pounds. This diet failed miserably. Very low carb diets are not sustainable in the real world. You eventually fall off the wagon because of environmental changes (travel, lunch at work, etc.). When you fall off the fall is abrupt because your portion sizes and types are inconsistent with normal eating patterns. i.e. you have learned another bad way to manage your food life style.

Summary
-Drop the fat first through diet. Any exercise program is safer at reduced body weight. Take 30 days to drop weight while doing a minimal exercise program (light weights, extra walking, isometrics, sticks, rubber bands) to get yourself ready without risking nutritional problems.

-Once the bulk of your desired weight loss is achieved then start hitting the weights and aerobics more agressively and adjust your protein/mineral/vitamin intake. By this time you have hopefully shrunk your stomach capacity and meal size expectations so the tendency to overeat due to additional calorie demand will be balanced by that full stomach feeling.

-Figure out the required calorie count to maintain your desired weight then knock off 10-20% from that and do not exceed that calorie level over any 7 day period. Do not go below 1000 calories a day since that can risk serious health problems long term. I pushed my luck in 1971. I was doing about 800 calories a day for 30 days.

Good luck.

Warning:
That "exercise thingy". Avoid on street running and martial arts. The risk of injury is too high and a bad sprain, broken limb, back injury or being run over by a car driven by a cell phone operator will destroy your fitness program. I was never run over by a car (tho 2 friends were) but did have multiple broken bones in Tai Kwan Do, a traumatized planar facia from running and a back sprain that aborted my fitness programs at the time.

you just have to figure out what you like and what works for you. i tried running and i found it boring, plus i didn't notice that much of a difference in my fitness level. then i tried swimming, which i love because after just a few times at the pool doing laps, i notice my muslces are more sculpted and i feel stronger. you're improving your cardio plus building muslce at the same time.

try lots of different things. join a soccer team, try jogging, take a class in kickboxing. figure out what works best for you and what you enjoy the most, that way you'll stick with it.

apgill said:
you just have to figure out what you like and what works for you. i tried running and i found it boring, plus i didn't notice that much of a difference in my fitness level. then i tried swimming, which i love because after just a few times at the pool doing laps, i notice my muslces are more sculpted and i feel stronger. you're improving your cardio plus building muslce at the same time.

try lots of different things. join a soccer team, try jogging, take a class in kickboxing. figure out what works best for you and what you enjoy the most, that way you'll stick with it.

Just thought I'd give a nod on some rather good advise. Every single one of us can say what we do; but all of our bodies are different, as are people's interests. Trying various things, and seeing what works best for you, is some rather good advise.

I'm a personal trainer. If anyone would like some specific points of advice, I'd be more than happy to oblige. Just fire me a PM.

canadian_divx said:
what is a good exercise for the abdominal muscles?

any that anyone recomend?
Pilates...This works the core strength, basically your trunk muscles. Although you don;t need anything other than the DVD or manual, trust me this is a killer for the abdominal section. Also great for flexibility, was able to do this 4 times a week until I caught Pneumonia.

falconguard said:
Pilates...This works the core strength, basically your trunk muscles. Although you don;t need anything other than the DVD or manual, trust me this is a killer for the abdominal section. Also great for flexibility, was able to do this 4 times a week until I caught Pneumonia.

I agree with that 100%. My fiance does Pilates, and it has definitely turned her into one hot piece of a** :p

Also flexible like a gymanst :eek:

canadian_divx said:
what is a good exercise for the abdominal muscles?

any that anyone recomend?

Use an inclined bench, and lay with your feet elevated above you or haning over the edge, use a large enough plate weight only to feel extra pressure on your abs (I used to use a 25 lb) and do as many situps as you can with as steday rhythm as you can, STOP when you cant do anymore...

put the weight down, get near a wall stretch as far back as you can bending backwards hoolding yourself up using the wall for support...

do this for 3 sets... be forewarned, if you use weights, you will gain mass, and many people do not like gaining girth around the midsection, if all you want is a very good flat stomach do the same thing I mentioned minus the weights, and rotate regular situps, and laterals to the left and right for the second and third sets....

I had to do this because I found out I had scoliosis, and it was caused because I have one leg which is approx 1/2" longer than the other....

I needed to strengthen my stomach to support my back...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back