DNS networking question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Guys,

My three computers are connected using a router. I am presesntly using a DNS number issued by my ISP to the router as the DNS within my network. Everything is working fine. My question is: Can I create my own DNS 12 digit number for within my network? Is it a security problem using the same DNS number inside as it is outside the network?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

i think you mean DHCP....

but anyways, most commonly home networks begin with 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx (there may be others reserved for networking, but those are the only ones i'm aware of)

you can set the router to use a different range, or even assign IPs manually for every computer. the problem is that if you happen to assign a private IP (LAN) that is also the public IP(internet) of a computer, then you will likely have problems.

if it's not broke, why fix it :)

(i don't go by that rule...often a stupid decision on my part, but that's beside the point :) )

3. Heeter

Hi CP,

I actually do mean the DNS server address. I do know that the IP range will be different than the outside world. But does the DNS server address have to be different as well? Can I just create a DNS server address?

Heeter

4. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

nope, you use the same DNS servers for all of your PC's. That is the address of your ISP's DNS server and has nothing to do with the LAN.

5. Heeter

So if I understand you correctly, J.

The DNS address that is supplied to me by my ISP will be the same one throughout the network as well? Isn't there a security issue having it the same inside the network as the outside?

Thanks for your resonse, J.

Heeter

6. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

all the DNS address is a server addres to a name server, when you type http://www.google.com into your browser that server is asked and returns http://216.239.57.99

type nslookup website.com at a command prompt and you will see the name resolution. Somehow I think you are misunderstood as to what it is. DNS (Domain name server) just returns IP address for domain names, no security issues except for they know what you've been looking at :)

7. Heeter

Thanks a million,

That explains a lot.

Thanks again, J

Heeter