DNS networking question

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

My three computers are connected using a router. I am presesntly using a DNS number issued by my ISP to the router as the DNS within my network. Everything is working fine. My question is: Can I create my own DNS 12 digit number for within my network? Is it a security problem using the same DNS number inside as it is outside the network?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

i think you mean DHCP....

but anyways, most commonly home networks begin with 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx (there may be others reserved for networking, but those are the only ones i'm aware of)

you can set the router to use a different range, or even assign IPs manually for every computer. the problem is that if you happen to assign a private IP (LAN) that is also the public IP(internet) of a computer, then you will likely have problems.

if it's not broke, why fix it :)

(i don't go by that rule...often a stupid decision on my part, but that's beside the point :) )

Hi CP,

I actually do mean the DNS server address. I do know that the IP range will be different than the outside world. But does the DNS server address have to be different as well? Can I just create a DNS server address?

Heeter

nope, you use the same DNS servers for all of your PC's. That is the address of your ISP's DNS server and has nothing to do with the LAN.

So if I understand you correctly, J.

The DNS address that is supplied to me by my ISP will be the same one throughout the network as well? Isn't there a security issue having it the same inside the network as the outside?

Thanks for your resonse, J.

Heeter

all the DNS address is a server addres to a name server, when you type http://www.google.com into your browser that server is asked and returns http://216.239.57.99

type nslookup website.com at a command prompt and you will see the name resolution. Somehow I think you are misunderstood as to what it is. DNS (Domain name server) just returns IP address for domain names, no security issues except for they know what you've been looking at :)

Thanks a million,

That explains a lot.

Thanks again, J

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back