DMB (Stand Up) Album

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Sports' started by Xie, May 12, 2005.

1. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I was just wondering how many Dave Matthews fans we have around here? I got the new CD (via iTunes) the other day and I'm really liking it. I was just wondering what other fans think? :)

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I'm a big fan myself and bought the album on Tuesday. I haven't had time yet to listen through it consistently, though. I've probably heard the whole album through once and my impression so far is that it's a very different album for them. It's a bit like Everyday in that the songs are held to a typical length (around 5 minutes) and many are very straightforward in structure... this is a result of the producer they worked with for Stand Up, who has produced some very mainstream albums.

So there isn't much "DMB jam" on the album, which has always worked well for long-time fans, but being a long-time fan myself I still enjoyed some of the songs the first time I heard them. Others I would listen to and think "hmm, interesting." :) I definitely need some more time to listen to it and get a feel for the album as a whole. I can say that I loved Dreamgirl from the first minute I listened to it, and I was hoping at the time the rest of the album would fit with its style. That's not the case but that doesn't mean it's not good... it'll just have to grow on me a bit. :)

3. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

Heard of them but not heard anything by them :D

4. Xie

I think "You Might Die Trying" is my fav so far. As far as the "DMB jam" part, none of their studio albums have really had this. I'm sure alot of these songs live will be made very jammy though. Just look back @ songs like jimmy thing (from "Under The Table And Dreaming") turned from a good 5:57 song into a 30+min jam live. ;)

*edit* - I do agree it is different also - the video you get w/ the album via iTunes goes over this with the band :D

5. muzikool

Don't forget Kit Kat Jam. ;)

The album tracks are obviously more structured than the way they are played live, but there is still a jam element to a lot of the recorded songs. Tripping Billies, Rapunzel (and the jams between songs on BTCS), Two Step, #41, Warehouse... these are a some examples of songs that already had the element in the recording, which made it easy to draw out in concert. The band even had difficulty drawing out the tracks from Everyday when they played them live. They just weren't written in the same way as those that were easy to jam to.

6. Xie

True. Dave does have some skill when it comes to filling in w/ improv that really shines w/ songs that were not made "jam friendly". :)

Anyhoo I can't wait to hear some of the new ones live. :D

7. muzikool

DMB's Texas shows are during my honeymoon, so I won't get to catch them this time around. :(

My brother ordered the package from DMB's web site, which included the live discs that aren't sold in stores. I'm looking forward to hearing some of that, too.

8. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

yay i love DMB ~ hell yeah!!!! stay beautiful baby, stay american baby!!! i love stand up, eveyone run to the stores and go get it now!! whooooooo :)

9. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

I just got it yesterday and have been listening to it in the car. I am liking it so far. i will rip it down tonight and listen to it on the home system.