Displaying video on secondary display?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Kendrilanthis, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Kendrilanthis

Kendrilanthis OSNN Junior Addict

Hey there, not sure if this belongs here or not but it is graphics card related so....

In any case, I can display video in any video player fine on my primary display but if I drag it into the secondary display all I get is the sound with a black video panel. Was wondering if there is anything I can do to get this to play properly on secondary display.

I am running WinXP Pro with a Radeon 9600 Pro video card. Secondary monitor is set up on the DVI port with a dvi to vga adapter.

-K

2. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Do you have DirectX 9 installed? What program are you using?

3. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

In video control panel (advanced>display) you have to deal with the 2 little buttons for each display (see attached pic)

Attached Files:

4. Kendrilanthis

That isn't it man, I am able to display just fine on both monitors. It is video files and movies SPECIFICALLY that will not display. They only display a black box, nothing else when put on secondary display but work fine on primary.

And I am using Dx 9.0b with all windows updates and drivers all fully updated.

5. Kendrilanthis

I've used several. WMP, AverTV, Intervideo WinDVD, Intervideo WinDVR, Realplayer, Quicktime, Etc etc etc

6. DarkMaster

DarkMaster OSNN Addict

do you want to display the video on ur secondary display only or bth?
    i used to have that problem with my nvidia card. if i wanted to watch a movie from pc to tv then i had to set my tv as the primary display, im not sure if ati cards have the same problem. i have never found an alternative method

7. Howling Wolf

No, I think I'm right ! ;)
    For my second display (tv), if the right button is selected, I get my player (any one I use) right on my tv, sound is playing right but the player displays a black screen...
    Next, if I select the left button (have to reactivate the second display first) for the second display, I do get both sound and video on my tv !
    The same way, you can desactivate the video on your pc screen by selecting the right button (left by default).
    Do you see what I mean now, or am I still wrong ?

8. Kendrilanthis

Pretty sure I have tried that but will have to check when I get home (at work atm) and let you know how it works out.

9. DarkMaster

DarkMaster OSNN Addict

u could try going into the advanced panel, and select the overlay tab.
    click clone mode options, and select "same on all"
    then apply
    if u want the video to display full screen on ur secondary display, u could select "theatre mode" instead of same on all. this was tested on my tv and worked perfectly.

10. Howling Wolf

Where are the options you're talking about ?...

11. DarkMaster

DarkMaster OSNN Addict

display properties and under the "settings" tab then advanced

[EDIT]
    i think u have to select ur primary display