Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by percy, Apr 21, 2005.

1. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

I can't access my floppy drive anymore and the error that comes out when booting up is :

DISKETTE DRIVE 0 SEEK FAILURE

I had already replaced the cable and the floppy drive and even reformated the pc but still has this problem. Could it be the motherboard? Or maybe the cable and floppy drive that I used are defective too. :(

Thanks.

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

A quick google search returns:
    I would try disabling it in the bios, boot and make sure it doesn't show. Then reboot and re-enable it. If it still doesn't work looks like your floppy controller is borked and you'll need an external floppy if you really need a floppy drive.

3. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Xie is on the money here Percy, and his diagnosis is probably right on as well.

DISK DRIVE 0 SEEK FAILURE
    Drive 0 and 1 refer to your a: and b: drive. Most often, if you get this error it is because your BIOS is looking for a drive that is not there. Check your setup and be sure that only the floppy drives located on your machine are activated.

4. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

ok. I'll check my bios setup. thanks.

5. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

I had disabled it from the bios and reboot. DISK DRIVE 0 SEEK FAILURE did not show up. Then enabled it again in the bios setup and reboot again and it came out again. So, my board driver is fried. :(

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Have you tried different ide cables? Also check the power cable for the floppy.

7. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

I had tried a different IDE cable but haven't tried the power cable. I'll check that next. Thanks.