Disappearing icons

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by skamaraju, May 16, 2002.

1. skamaraju

skamaraju Guest

I recently switched off my system restore after reading a tweak where it is advised, to save memory. After few days, My Networkplaces Icon disappeared from desktop. I checked with desktop properties, customize desktop and there My network places is checked along with My computer, Explorer and Recycle bin. But it is not being displayed, I tired every means and to no use. I regretted switching restore off and turned it on. After two days Explorer from taskbar disappeared. I could recover it with System restore. Why this vanishing act of Windows XP and how to get my "My Networkplaces" back? Help me to prevent further disappearing act. Sorry for such long query. :p
  2. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

Amongst the Native Ones
    Someone else will give the details, but your problem might be related to an XP function: automatic clean of the desktop for unused or seldom used icons. I know it can be desactivated, but I don't remember where it is...
  3. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Texas, USA
    Don't think that is the problem, but that can be located: Display properties->desktop->customize desktop->general.
  4. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

Try using TweakUI from the XP powertoys and goto the desktop section, check the box for it there and see if that brings it back affter a apply and reboot.
  5. skamaraju

skamaraju Guest

I tried Tweak UI - desktop and My Networkplaces is not there along with others :(
  6. Eve

Eve Guest

If this is what happened, then it puts the icons in a folder called "unused desktop icons" or something like that, you should be able to see it if you look in the Desktop folder, or else do a search for it. Hope this helps.