Direct x 9???

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by busto, Mar 6, 2003.

1. busto

busto Guest

Is Direct X 9 worth downloading??? I'm running a GF4 Ti 4200 128MB

2. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

I dunno I did and then the skys in CS and DOD started I dunno glitching textures would smear into them hard to explain its real ugly tho!

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

its final... unlikely to really kick performance up but more shaders et al supported in dx9 and more features overall :)

the hardware is also sort of important...

4. SkazzyUK

SkazzyUK XP-erience Oldie

And its always good to be up to date and have the latest stuff :D

Skazz

5. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

see I have a geforce 4 so I think it hossed something for me....

6. Jahya

Jahya Guest

I have a G4 MX 420+ 64meg and haven't noticed any serious issues, but then I'm not a hardcore gamer. The only issue I noticed was since installing DX9, NHL2003 and Madden2003 seem slower (for lack of a better word). Not really choppy or jumpy, just slower.... I don't know how else to explain it.

But newer games like Splinter Cell recommend DX9 and some even require it. And while on the subject of SC, I'm pissed I wasted my money on it... the controls SUCK! It could have been so much better....

Also, I read somewhere the other day that DX9.1 is supposed to be released relatively soon which have a few fixes.

7. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

splinter cell requires dx8/8.1

there is not one game on the market @ the moment in retail form that will use dx9 extensions... not even doom III...

but your card I believe is a dx7 part so some rendering has to be done using more passes and therefore uses more gpu processing therefore renders slower (also done in software therefore slower )

8. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

ATI Catalyst 3.0 + drivers require (per ATI) DX 9.0 installed.

9. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

I have DX 9 and a GF4 Ti 4200. Had no problems installing it, but haven't really seen any differences in performance. I just like staying up-to-date.

Melon