Digital Audio Cable

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Guybrush, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Guybrush

Guybrush Village Idiot

I am thinking of buying a Bluray drive from LG for my computer and a Asus Xonar soundcard to replace the onboard sound.

Do I need a digital audio cable to be able to get sound as all the blu ray drives I have looked at dont have a port to put the cable into or does the sound from any disks get produced any other way.

Many thanks

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

with the asus xonar you should be using analogue output only to a decent 5.1 amplifier and speakers.

if you have a 5.1 amplifier that you bought in the last 2 years and insist on digital audio don't bother with the xonar and use optical out from the onboard.

Oh and btw - did you not notice the data cable you attach to drives ?

3. Guybrush

Guybrush Village Idiot

Many thanks for your reply. What cables are these? The only connections on the Bluray drive are the sata cable and the power connection..

I have 7.1 speakers froom Creative and would like to use them to their fuull capacity

Thanks again

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

a blu-ray drive sends all the data (video and audio) down the SATA cable to the mobo. then the audio either gets sent to a digital audio out port to be sent to an external receiver and decoded, or to the sound card (onboard or PCI) which would decode it and output analog.

what connections does your speakers set have?

5. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

if you are going to use the asus xonar sound card use the analogue outputs. If you want to use digital audio just use the optical output of the onboard soundcard.

There is no point spending a £100 on a soundcard and bypassing it completely by using digital output :)

6. Guybrush

Guybrush Village Idiot

Thanks all, I think I will stick with what i've got sound wise and just get the bluray player. Saving myself £100 will also please the better half!

Thanks again everybody

7. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Should also mention that if you are using HDMI for video, ATI 4xxx series card will pass the digital audio over the HDMI out.

8. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

they started that with the 2000 series :)