did i screw up?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by da rock, Mar 26, 2002.

1. da rock

da rock Guest

getting ready to hook up 2 pcs using 1 dsl account,thought i needed a router so i ordered one w/ builtin 4 port switch. got to
    thinking and called my dsl provider,and they tell me that all i needed was a 4 port switch because i already have a router(cisco
    678) i thought it was a modem. so do i need to send back the
    router i order and replace it w/ a 4 port switch or can i use it w/
    my existing hookup? help please!:confused:
  2. Raven76

Raven76 Guest

If this is what you have, it is in fact a personal router. In most cases you would have done the right thing. I have never heard of an ISP supplying a router/modem combo. You can probably still use your router to route to the other router, but that would be more redundant than this sentence, and more expensive than a switch or hub.

If it was me I would return the router and buy a 4 or 5 port switch. It's actually cool that they are hooking the customers up with that kind of hardware.
  3. da rock

da rock Guest

yep thats the one i'm using right now, checked with tech support
    at my dsl provider and was told that i could disable the dhcp setup in the Linksys that i ordered and it would act as a switch
    only and not a router(?) i 'm not sure of that so if anyone has any
    ideas on that option i'd like to hear'm. if not i'll try to rma it and get just a switch. thanks for the reply!