Dial-Up Problems

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Ok, my dial-up's been working fine since the very first time I installed WindowsXP. But recently it refuses to initiate the connection properly, I logon to XP, then attempt to open my connection and it will just hang on the "Opening Port" screen, or other times it will happily dial the number and then hang on the "Registering your computer on the network" screen.
The odd thing is that once i've established a connection and (because my ISP disconnects me every 2 hours) the connection gets dropped, it'll re-connect perfectly with no problems.

Things i've already tried

Modem Drivers
Re-installing the modem
re-creating the connection
different ISP

make sure the settings in you dial up connection look like these...

yup, yup.
All the settings are as in the pics, its strange because I haven't changed anything, I havent installed anything, I've literally done nothing :huh:

Hi speedy.

Couple of things to try:

*Got a AV prog running at all times? Ran a full system sweep lately?

*Had you phone company made any modifications that you are aware of? Does the phone line sound different or distorted when you call or recieve calls? If it's a second phone line, pick it up (when not connected) and see if you hear any really bad static, etc.

*::knowing it sounds stupid:: Got a spare phone cord lying around? If yes, swap it out.

*Do you have your phone line running through a surge protector? If no, has there been any electromagnetic activity (e.g.-lightning) lately? Could have partially damaged your modem.

*How old is that modem? Ever had probs with that modem before? Got a spare/borrow one to swap and see if that resolves the problem.

Hope some of this helps. :)

*Got a AV prog running at all times? Ran a full system sweep lately?
Nope, not installed anything recently tho (i know thats not the ONLY way to get infected with something ... i'll install AVG later)

*Had you phone company made any modifications that you are aware of? Does the phone line sound different or distorted when you call or recieve calls? If it's a second phone line, pick it up (when not connected) and see if you hear any really bad static, etc.
Primary and only phone line, all lines are underground, so no physical modifacations have been made by BT (Phone line company) recently that i know of, and the call quality's still fine

*::knowing it sounds stupid:: Got a spare phone cord lying around? If yes, swap it out.
Unfortunately not, this line/cord runs from another room across the hallway, i dont have another extension long enough, but the phone connected to the back of the modem works fine, as does the modem after the first connection, so i dont think its the line/cord.

*Do you have your phone line running through a surge protector? If no, has there been any electromagnetic activity (e.g.-lightning) lately? Could have partially damaged your modem.
Nothing that would cause damage, and i do have a surge protector, but the modem isnt running through it, i should run it through really :p

*How old is that modem? Ever had probs with that modem before? Got a spare/borrow one to swap and see if that resolves the problem.
Errr, its been with me since windows 98 (possibly before.. cant remember), its an external US Robotics modem, £120 at the time :eek: and hasn't failed me once, i do have a spare AMR modem knocking about in my other room which i shall try tommorow tho.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B

Nothing that would cause damage, and i do have a surge protector, but the modem isn't running through it, i should run it through really :p

That's all I could guess. Maybe something that you didn't know about. A transformer went out a few miles away, etc, etc and it may have
doggystyle.gif
your modem up a little bit. Even with underground wires, the sub-stations have to get their power from somewhere to carry the underground signals. I may be stabbing in the dark here....

Hope you get everything taken care of. Good luck! :)

I dont know whats goin on now, its messin me around :p
I just re-booted again, and its working fine.
I'll try messing with it all later/tommorow when its not half five in the morning :)

Hey speedy if your still getting your connection jammed up, run your problem over here: http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

It certainly could be the server at your ISP is making some changes or the phone lines are getting modified by the phone company. Who knows. Could also be those nasty trunk lines between you and your ISP.. Some of the guys over at Freedomlist have been using the V92 modems and are having improved connections and improved download speeds..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back