dial up password

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Hensoneno, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Hensoneno

Hensoneno Guest

I just installed xp pro on my amd 350 with no problems, but whenever I try to go on-line I have to re-enter my password everytime? I tried setting up another account and set it as my default saving password but lo and behold the very next time it asked for the pw again :rolleyes:

2. jamichel2000

jamichel2000 Guest

Hello

Try this....

Go on Start, Search, File or Folders

Under Name put *.pwl and go in the Look in field and look for your C: drive......hit Search after that.

That will reset your password and reboot your computer after that. Recreate a new connection in your Network Connection and try it......

Hope that will help you..........

3. jamichel2000

jamichel2000 Guest

Dialup password

Hello again,

I forgot to tell you to delete the *.pwl files that you are going to found.

Reboot computer after that, create a new connection and try it......

Good luck

4. Hensoneno

Hensoneno Guest

Tried to search out my *.pwl file and no luck? man it's annoying . I guess consantly re-entering the password isn't too bad:confused:

5. Mister Zee

Mister Zee Guest

Well.. whoever suggested that... try it before you send it. There are no pwl files in Windows 2000 or XP. If there are, I mustr be really stupid cause I could never find them anywhere on my disk on all of the 50 stations I have at work. And I did look for system files in system folders, and hidden files etc... PWL files only work for Windows 95/98/ME

6. Binary

Binary Guest

Absolutely correct, Mr. Zee! Well, I guess even some XP Professionals have to learn it the hard way. Passwords are stored in Win2K in quite a different way, so the Win9X solutions don't work here. I've never had this problem in XP so I don't know if this will work, but just check here: support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q148925. It also applies to Win2K so that should work in XP as well (hopefully).