DHCP assigning different subnets

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by DevineGSR, Feb 22, 2003.

1. DevineGSR

DevineGSR Guest

Im trying to connect a XP Home machine and a Win2000 machine to share files. They are connected on a linksys hub and both have ip's assigned via DHCP from att. Both computers can access the internet fine, but I cant get them to connect to each other to share files. DHCP is assigning the different subnets. Is there any way i can get them to share files and still have access to the internet?

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I believe it's possible as long as the subnet mask is set correctly. With 255.255.255.0 it won't work, but 255.255.0.0 might if the first two numbers are equal.

3. pappcam

pappcam Guest

Do NOT share files on your computers this way. It's a huge security risk. Why aren't both computers connected to a router? Why do you need 2 IP's from your ISP? Give more details of your setup and we should be able to help.

4. DevineGSR

DevineGSR Guest

This is not my network, im trying to help a friend out. They probably dont have a router because hes probably too cheap to buy one and already had a hub. They are using 2 IPs so both of their computers can connect to the internet. They want to be able to share files with each other but they arent able to locate each other. There setup is one XP Home machine, one Windows 2000 Professional machine, both are connected from a linksys hub. Both obtain IP addresses via DHCP from ATT...

5. oDin

oDin xp m0nk3y

just install either ipx/spx or netbeui on the machines. this way local file sharing and the internet are independent of each other. and its easy too.

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

*bonk* Silly me! pappcam is right, it would be VERY dangerous. This is no understatement, the computers (or the shares anyway) will be wide open. They need some kind of firewall to prevent outsiders to access their shares. Either a transparent firewall (preferrably a *nix box) and still using the two IP:s or a router giving the computers internal IP:s.

7. DevineGSR

DevineGSR Guest

Re: Re: DHCP assigning different subnets

Ill give that a try..thanks...do i need to set file sharing to use ipx/spx instead of tcp/ip or will it detect it automaticlly???

8. pappcam

pappcam Guest

If your buddy is too cheap to get a router then tell him he's wasting money on two IP's. Get one IP from his provider and use the money saved on a router. Then he can share files on his own internal network. Do NOT have open shares on the Internet. Get someone knowledgable to help you both out before you do something you'll regret.

9. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Too cheap to buy a router?? I just bought a LinkSys router/4 port switch for $61 US from Newegg! It can't get much cheaper than that! Then those problems should be solved!