DFI Lanparty mobo Prob.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Supplicium, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Supplicium

Supplicium Guest

Hey i had everything workin fine, till i started messin around with the CPU settings, It was reading my AMD 3000+ as an AMD XP 1.73 ghz. So i went into genie bios and went to the cpu clock rates and it was set at like 133 or somethin close.. any way i didnt know what the 3000+ clock rate was so i think its eiter 233 or 300. so i put in 300 and i restart my comp. and it will not boot. It turns on but i get no video. any ideas?

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

uh... those are speeds before ddr is takin into consideration. so by setting your fsb to 300, you're effectively trying a 600mhz fsb!! :eek: hope you ddin't ruin any hardware!

your cpu has a stock fsb of 333, so set your bios to 166. and next time i suggest researching before you start making extreme changes to mhz values. ;)

3. Supplicium

Supplicium Guest

ahh thx. yah i was very stupid to make huge changes without consulting proper investigations. Now that i know what to set my bios too... when i boot it powers on but i get no video. Do u think it messed up my video card? Is there like a reset button on the mobo so it goes back to default setting? Is there any other way to reset my bios?(can i take out the battery to reset the cmos or does that have anything to do with anything?)

4. mbx

mbx Guest

There should be a "clear cmos" jumper on your mobo.
    Locate it, and put the jumper over the two pins.
    Switch your machine on, leave it for (say) 5 seconds, switch off, and then remove the jumper.
    When you switch your machine back on, it should have set all options to the default values.

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yeah, do that. and if you still get no video... well, prepare yourself for the worst. :(

6. Supplicium

Supplicium Guest

Great NEWS! I did the clear cmos and it worked, it set everything back to the defaults an booted perfectly. TY SOO MUCH!.

I have one more question.

I have the AMD 3000+
    Whats the clock rate?
    And the Multipler?
    Also the CPU Throttoling is set to 50% should i change that?

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

there are two different 3000+'s. you have the 333fsb version with a multiplier of 13 (166x13=2166mhz). the other one has a fsb of 400.

and i have a cpu thermal throttling option in my bios, but i don't think i've seen it make any difference. supposedly, it's meant to downclock your processor once it starts to run too hot.

8. Supplicium

Supplicium Guest

hey thanks alot man. i really appreciate your help. I got everything workin right. thanks again.

9. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I read an article over at tomshardware.com about this ... they took an amd and intel chip and ran both w/out heat sinks. The intel has a far better throttle and scales back the chip so no damage was done even when they tried to run it 100% for a bit ... amd on the other had fried w/in a few secs i think. :(

Maybe if I get a sec. I'll look for the link ....

10. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i have a feeling this is the article you're talking about? it has a video at the end.

if that's what you're talking about, realize that it's over two years old. the thermal throttling on recent nf2 boards is supposed to be a safeguard against such things, but i haven't heard anything about it outside of my bois.

11. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

hehe yeah thats the article ... though it is old has the problem really been fixed? wish they would maybe run the test again w/ newer chips/mobo's from both ... though I suppose I wouldn't be to quick to do a test that could cost me some good $. :(

12. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

well, in their latest video which accompanies this article, they show the new athlon64's capable of protecting itself from a total loss of cooling.

but as far as our K7 processors, i don't think much can be done since the architecture doesn't have it implemented, unlike the p4's and K8's.

[edit] link to the video page