Dell recalls 4.1 million batteries

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Shamus MacNoob, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

2. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

Dont wanna end up like that dude from Japan or w/e and have your laptop catch fire :p

3. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Haha, Sony is getting crucified in the media right now.
    [/FONT]

4. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Can anyone say, "hot potato". :p

Damn, this is like the second time for Dell, isn't it?

Apple had a problem with their lappy batteries a long time ago, didn't they?

5. nabosama

nabosama OSNN One Post Wonder

./cry I just bought some batteries from Dell, prolly should get out the fire extinguisher.

6. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

haha, its great though. I think its hillarious... I am sure they arnt laughing however. Next we will see a press release from sony saying *batteries manufactured by Indobatt, not our fault!"

7. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

There were almost 400 instances of over-heating/leaking/on fire or small exposions of batteries over the past year or so (iirc) per the wall street journal and nyt.

Everyone has issues with a certain type of battery, not just Dell (recall Apple's issues), Dell is just being pro-active about it rather than waiting for disaster to strike.

No one has so far been injured, per the wall street journal report. Apple and others are also taking stock of their line-ups and will act accordingly.

Guess I'll have to wait a while before I purchase a new notebook that is air-travel worthy :(

Also seems likely that companies like Apple will follow-suit if Sony "financially" supports a recall.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/14/t...56424c51&ex=1313208000&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

8. Grandmaster

https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com

That's where you can check if your battery needs to be replaced. Mine does. The site says it should arrive in 20 business days. That's about a month. Well, it hasn't blown up yet :p

9. Shamus MacNoob

Its a crap load thats for sure , and I posted this and the news but someone gave the news post to VenomXT on front page I submitted it when I opened this thread.

10. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

So what?

The news was released to the WTJ and NYT earlier in the day. Yes, you opened the thread but venom could have got his news elsewhere. It's not a big deal.

11. shoulin

shoulin OSNN Addict

my old laptop Dell Insperion 6000 needed to be replaced, like they said before only 20 days.

Very impressive online ordering process. took me all of 2 minutes to get my order going at no cost to me.

-- the best thing is that that battery is going on a year old, and all of us know laptop batters dont like holding a full charge much longer than a year or so and i just gave it to my GF, so now shes got a bran new battery and i wont feel bad if the old one died in 2 months:laugh:

12. Shamus MacNoob

I sent in the news at the same time not after I opened the thread he sent it in a day later .. I submited the news and have other times as well and I wonder why my submitted news is not posted its a valid question, what the point in having a submit news if people dont use it when you go to the trouble .

13. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

Heads up I read lots of news from a lot of places. Before I post I normally check the front page but don’t always check the forums. I didn’t steal your thunder I just saw it too and posted it. To be honest I don’t check news submissions normally. I probably should, but I submit enough I figure someone else will handle it..... but as your time stamp here is important I went and gave you credit . Cheers. :laugh:

PS next time just send me a PM that way its not made into a big deal. There is no need to post in the forum and in the comment section.

Now back to topic.

Anyone contact dell yet? I have 40 laptops that need the new batt's but I am scared to call now. With a 4.1 million recall I have a feeling the wait time is not worth a few engineers losing there shorts if one catches on fire.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  14. Shamus MacNoob

Was more to the tune of why news I submitted was not used ...it has happened a few times that I submit news and for reasons unknown the stories get passed over thats all.

back to topic , I found 2 at work that are recalled and will see tommorow what the heck we gonna do about it..2 aint bad but if someone I work with get hurt because we were too lazy to take the steps then that wont go over well.

15. VenomXt

np.. I just give the bomb laptops to people that deserve them.. now make sure you keep this near your groin at all times.. ... i made a sticker..

16. Grandmaster

:lick:

17. VenomXt

Sweet. thanks.