Dell Optiplex GX270 - ADI Audio disappears issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Punkrulz, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Punkrulz

Punkrulz Somewhat eXPerienced

Yet again, I'm posed with another one of those problems that seems to somewhat spread from computer to computer. We have a few computers, all being the Dell Optiplex GX270 machine using the ADI 198x Audio driver. The problem is that when you turn on the computer and login as the user, you will hear the regular windows sound. After that, on some machines, Windows Sound completely disappears. When you double click on the volume icon, it states that there are No Media Device Mixers installed or available on the system (I don't have the exact error message, I have to get that).

Is there a reason why it's occuring on this? I'm not certain if this is a specific hardware issue with that sound driver, or a Windows issue working with the sound.

Thanks!

2. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

I'm sure you've already checked or have heard of this, but the GX270s are plagued with bad capacitors... Have you checked any of the motherboards for leaky or bulging caps?

3. Punkrulz

Punkrulz Somewhat eXPerienced

Negative, I have not heard or seen anything about this. I will check the symptomatic computers when I can. Although thinking about this, wouldn't this cause the audio to not work completely, instead of working when Windows turns on and then Windows saying there is no Media Device?

To me it sounds more like a software issue than anything.