Dell Announces Free Recycling for Used Gear

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Dell announced plans Wednesday to let consumers recycle their Dell-branded products for free, even if they replace those products with Hewlett-Packard's new printer or Toshiba's new laptop.

Previously, Dell offered free recycling of old gear, Dell-branded or not, with the purchase of a new Dell PC, printer or other product. That will continue, but the company will also now let consumers arrange for the free pickup of any Dell-branded product that is no longer being used without having to purchase a new Dell product.

"We don't believe that consumers should have to pay for the responsible retirement of used computer products," Dell Chairman Michael Dell said on a conference call. Dell was joined by Katie Krebs, executive director of the National Recycling Coalition, a nonprofit organization looking to improve and expand recycling efforts.

"Consumers want to recycle responsibly, but they need convenient solutions to do so," Krebs said. Dell customers will be able to print out a mailing label after entering their asset tag number on a Dell Web site, and will be responsible for packing the product and arranging for an in-home pickup time, said Todd Arbogast, manager of Dell's sustainable business group.

Electronics recycling programs have improved as local governments and individuals have become more aware of the toxic effects of decaying circuit boards, but groups such as the National Recycling Coalition have been urging vendors to pick up more of the load. Apple recently announced a plan to start taking back old computers for free with the purchase of a new Mac. Hewlett-Packard offers PC recycling services for a fee.

Source: CNET News.com

Great to hear, even better that they will arrange for free pickup. Have to wonder if the anticipated costs that Dell will take on to store all the extra equipment will be passed onto the consumer somewhere, like those 2 dollar charges to remove Outlook Express :eek:

Nice move Dell :up:

Send it to me! I'll recycle it . . . on eBay :)

On a more serious note . . . laws in Europe have put this on the backs of manufacturers years ago. This is just another place the US has fallen quite behind Europe in environmental responsibility.

posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back