Deleting unwanted folders in Xp

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by agfa, Jan 21, 2003.

1. agfa

agfa Guest

Is there anyway one can delete the following folders:

Movie Maker
    MSN
    MSN Gaming Zone
    NetMeeting
    Online Services

and any other folder that windows installs under the program files folder..

as i'm running a minimal installation and do simply not want these functions or folders.
    how can i take them out, each time i try deleting them i either get program/folder in use or cannot delete.

very very annoying any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Use the command at the bottom. That should do it.

Close all open applications.
    Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory with the offending files.
    Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. select "explorer.exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".
    That will leave you with only the command prompt and the task manager running.
    Now at the Command Prompt, its time to delete the file(s). Using the DEL command. Example c:>\movies\DEL movie.avi
    Now the files are deleted, go to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task" button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.

For folders the command is 'rd'.

Welcome to the forums btw. :)

3. Hipster Doofus

Then there is this.
    :)

4. agfa

agfa Guest

thanks for the fast reply Hipster.

You see i have tried this method, with closing all applications incl.
    the explorer task in the tsk-mgr without success.

And i def. do not have any applications or anything which would have any connection with the folders im trying to delete.

These problems as far as i can recall never occured in any previous windows versions, that a program is currently in use and such..

very very annoying..

im considering if there isn't like a bootdisk.com disk with all the needed applications to run from dos, to overide this feature.b

thanks for the quick response again

5. cruiser78

cruiser78 Me

do boot to a dos like interface you could boot from the xp cd and choose the recovery option.. then try to delete them from there... or you could try booting into safe mode (hit F8 before windows starts to load... right after the bios finishes its thing)

Hipster - thanks for sending him to my little proggy... but it only removes empty folders... the folders he wants to delete have stuff in them so my prog won't delete them...

6. Hipster Doofus

Didn't realise that. If the folders have files in them would it be safe just to delete them? Might make something else go screwy.

7. yoyo

yoyo _________________

The problem with these folders is that they are under Windows system file protection. If you manage to delete them they will be immediately recreated. The way to ged rid of them is to disable the system file checker. Did not try it myself and I will not try it.

http://www.therabidpenguin.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=22&