Deleting a file

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dreamworks, Jun 16, 2003.

1. dreamworks

dreamworks --== babyface ==--

I am trying to delete some of my mp3 files but some can and some can't. Experienced this problem before and had to delete the files manually from DOS Command. Using Win XP, can anyone teach me how do I do that please? I tried to delete the file name Never Before, under dos I typed d:del never before but the error comes out as file never not found?

Thanks !!

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

See how you go with MaxDI. Very easy to use & comes in very handy. Freeware.

3. dreamworks

Nice software but I'd would serious still prefer the DOS command if possible?

Any advise please?

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

You have the command - del. MaxDi will give you the dos name to use with that command. Don't forget to add the file extention, eg Never Before.mp3. If it is stubborn try this>

Close all open applications.
    Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory with the offending files.
    Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. select "explorer.exe". Click "End Process".
    That will leave you with only the command prompt and the task manager running.
    Now at the Command Prompt, its time to delete the file(s). Using the DEL command. Example c:>\movies\DEL movie.avi
    Now the files are deleted, go to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task" button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.

OR this (not tried)
    Just open NOTEPAD and then click on "OPEN". Navigate to the file in the little Notepad "explorer" window and right click on the file and delete it. Supposedly that's will do it.

5. yoyo

yoyo _________________

del "never before.mp3"

Use quotes when a file name has spaces in it.

6. dreamworks

Yoyo .. THANK YOU!! : )

Rest of you guys !! THANK YOU TOO!!!

:rolleyes:

7. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

the problem most of the time is that windows media player "loads" MP3 files when you select them, sometimes because of bugs it doesnt "unlock" the file from itself, thus not allowing other programs like the delete command to do their work.

Its like opening a file, and then noone else can open it at the same time since only one person can make changes at a time.