Defrag wont move files......

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by neo090282, Jul 5, 2002.

1. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

Some files in defrag wont move, any way of changing this??

2. 2McAbre

2McAbre Guest

;) Well some files wont move during a defrag.

If you have the disk formatted to Fat or Fat32 the directory files wont move when you defrag "inside" XP, neither will the pagefile.

If you have the disk formatted to NTFS… The MFT (master file table), system files, pagefile and specifically locked files will not be defragged.

One way to defrag (especially if you are just using the freebie defrag in XP) is to boot to a safe mode command prompt.

Do that by restarting your computer, just before you get to the black screen that has the windows logo with the little moving bar under it, tap the F8 key.

Select Safe Mode Command Prompt.

Then from the command prompt type

Defrag C: (or D,E etc.) hit enter.

This will give you the best defrag results with the freebie defrager.

3. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

Thats an advantage of having two or more harddrives or partitions.. cos you can move those stubburn stained files!!..Hmm sounds like an advert!! :D

4. 2McAbre

2McAbre Guest

I hope you're just joking stuy_b…

:rolleyes: Move the MFT to another drive or partition? :p Okay you can do that if you want to, let me know how it works out K?

:D

5. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

Anybody know any better defrag progams other than the standard windows one?

6. allan

allan Guest

Hey 2Mc - addictive, isn't it? ;)

7. Dlovely

Dlovely Guest

NEO, powerdefrag found at www.powerdefrag.com is pretty nice, im sure there are lots of others including speed disk with norton etc...

8. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

I use Speed Disk by Symantec/Norton. I have heard people complain about it, but I have never experienced any problems whatsoever. What I find useful is setting up "Scheduled Tasks" to run it every night/morning at 4 AM, that way I don't have to waste my time doing it during the day.

9. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

There are several threads discussing defragmenters.

I currently use Diskeeper, but I have SpeedDisk installed anyway.

10. ghayes

ghayes Microsoft MVP

"Anybody know any better defrag progams other than the standard windows one?"

There are several:

PerfectDisk - www.raxco.com. Designed for Windows XP - Optimized.
    Diskeeper - www.execsoft.com. Designed for Windows XP - Optimized.
    Ontrack's FixIt Suite - www.ontrack.com. Compatible with Windows XP.
    O&O Defrag - www.oo-defrag.com. Compatible with Windows XP.
    Defrag Manager - www.winternals.com. Compatible with Windows XP.
    SystemWorks - www.symantec.com. Designed for Windows XP - Optimized.
    Vopt - www.goldenbow.com. Compatible with Windows XP.

Several of the above are full feature defrag products (PD, DK, O&O) and some are marginally better than the built-in defragmenter (DM, Vopt, SW, FS) in terms of basic defrag ability. It really depends on what you are looking for. If you would like more information about the abilities/limitations of any of the above products, please let me know.

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

11. ghayes

ghayes Microsoft MVP

"powerdefrag found at www.powerdefrag.com is pretty nice"

All PowerDefrag does is to schedule/run the built-in defragmenter. This means that PowerDefrag has the same limitations as the built-in defragmenter (can't defragment directories on FATx drive, the pagefile, the hibernate file, etc...).

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

12. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I think you should give all the moderators here a beta, (unrestricted, of course), so we can all say good things about your product...extra dollars will insure such good reviews

13. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

what a swell idea =)

14. koko

koko Got Root?

i use partition magic 7 to defrag all my drives. i like it a lot more than the standard windoz defragger.

15. ghayes

ghayes Microsoft MVP

"i use partition magic 7 to defrag all my drives"

Koko,

Partition Magic isn't a disk defragmentation utility. It is used to resize partitions - making them smaller or larger. Are you sure you don't have it confused with some other product?

- Greg/Raxco Software

16. Dlovely

Dlovely Guest

Hank i think u have too much vodka in ur sprite bottle lol as for powerdefrag i mentioned it because its free to use atleast for 30days and easy to use. I personally use ONTRACK for everything and disabled those features for systemworks because NAV ALWAYS messes up stuff. Every single person i know who has ever owned NAV systemworks has had problems with it, especially live update. Ontrack is nice but it costs $$ unless of course u have Kazaa and a little time.