Default install location

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vivid_vibe, Feb 18, 2011.

1. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

Greetings all,

I have ordered, and will soon be receiving, a new computer. It has a 30 gig ssd drive for the os and a terabyte storage drive. My question is: how can I change the default install folder for programs under Windows 7, because obviously I can't have program files installed to a 30 gig drive. A poster on newegg.com said that his came with only 4 or 5 gigs free on the ssd. He was able to free some space up by disabling hibernation and moving the page file to another drive, which I will do those things too. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Just type the desired path in the installer - sometimes you need to use custom rather than express/default options.

3. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I would also leave the pagefile on the SSD as this will allow quicker access.

vivid_vibe likes this.
  4. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

like stated, just change the install path on during the install. Remember that it will change the install location for the program files folder only. Anything else will remain the same.

vivid_vibe likes this.
  5. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

I found out how to change the default install path. I then quickly changed it right back. I wouldn't recommend it. It screwed all kind of programs up. Some Windows related programs, such as Windows Media Player, refused to function afterwords. I will just manually change to install path in the future. It was worth a try I guess.

Jamie