Default Gateway is not available. REALLY Need a fix, please please please help.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Vanquished, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

Hey Everyone,
    I just purchased a Buffalo WZR-600DHP router and have been having a weird issue. When using the router on the shipped DD-WRT firmware I consistently get "The default gateway is not available" error and I have to reset my wireless adapter on my laptop. This issue doesn't occur on my hardwired desktop or interestingly enough when the Buffalo router was switched to the "user-friendly" firmware the issue didn't occur either. Both times the router was on the DD-WRT firmware I've had the default gateway issue.

I'm not sure if it helps but I'm posting the info from the Windows network diagnostics here:

About the same time that I got the new router I also installed windows updates (security updates for .net framework) so I'm not sure if that could do it? I've also already tried setting my computer to a static higher ip. Made it 192.168.11.50, hasn't made a difference. If it makes a difference the problem is easily repeatable if I download anything sizable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've contacted Buffalo but they haven't contacted me back. This is getting REALLY annoying.
    Thanks so much!
    -Vanquished

EDIT: Just realized, this is the forum for Windows versions up to Vista, this problem is occurring on Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Possible firewall issue. Try disabling the firewall for a test or uninstall and switch to another firewall. If the disable test works uninstall / re-install the firewall and see if it clears the problem.

Also, try plugging the laptop into a wired network connection and see if the problem is still present with the original firewall. If the issue goes away the problem is in the wireless setup or drivers.

3. Vanquished

Hey there,
    Thanks for the help. The only firewall I had enabled was windows firewall, I disabled it but the problem persisted. I will try hard-wiring to the router. This problem started with my new buffalo router however.
    Thanks again!

4. Vanquished

Hey,
    So I FINALLY got around to testing the laptop hardwired to the Buffalo and it appears to be working fine. SO. My problem has persisted with no firewall on wifi for all this time, reset my network connection about 2 dozen times a day. I'm not sure where the problem is since this issue doesn't occur on other wireless networks, just my Buffalo...

Anyone with any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a bunch!
    -Vanq

5. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

For giggles, I'd uninstall your download the newest drivers for your wireless card, uninstall the current drivers, reboot, and install the new drivers.

6. Vanquished

Hey,
    I uninstalled, rebooted and re-installed but it does it just as frequently. every couple megabytes. This is driving me insane.