Dedicate RAM to Video Card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Brad, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

My brother has an eMachines computer. The mobo has an integrated video card. Is there a way to dedicate more RAM to the display? He has 512MB DDR and only 32 of that is dedicated to the display...

Brad

2. Back Up

Back Up Guest

what you can do is go to your bios and increase the "Aperture Size" depending on your mobo bios you can increase it to 256 or up to 50% of your ram. here have a good read about Aperture Size examined and explained.

3. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

Also in the bios there should be an option to change the amout of ram dedicated to the graphics,some motherboards have options from 16mb upto 64mb

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

for onboard graphics, 32mb is a lot. there's a chance his will let him go up to 64mb, but not likely. 32mb is probably the max.

with something that slow, it doesn't really matter how much memory you give it, anyway.

5. Silverghost

Silverghost Guest

Oh man I have a eMachines computer, onboard video is horrible IMO. I had 192 megs of RAM and the aperture at 128 and I only got 8 megs of Ram for the onboard video, I think 32megs is all your gonna get. (I know the aperture was to big, but that was in the day I didnt know much about that stuff)

But my eMachine is almost 4 years old so yours maybe different. I slapped in a Radeon 32 mb SDR and the preformance jump was huge, getting your bro a video card might be the best solution.