Decompiler

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Tuffgong4, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

ok got a project this morning for work which is a little out of my realm. I need to decompile a program that is like 5 years old and takes up a tiny 6.75MB. Can anyone recommend a decompiling program for the .exe and the .dll files associated with it.

2. Tuffgong4

ok this will be last ditch effort to bring this to the forefront since this is for work and I'm scrounging for ideas

3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

uh, AFAIK you cannot convert an EXE back into its code. Once its compiled its compiled.

4. Tuffgong4

well I"m using a demo version of IDA Pro that is showing me the code of the exe in question but that's as far as I can get...

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

You can decompile a program unless it was intentionally encrypted during compile. You need a decompiler that matches the source code compiler.

I haven't used a decompiler in a decade though so have no idea where to look.

Also, there is that nasty little question of who owns the source code. $150k per instance of attempting to crack the compiled program courtesy of DMCA.

6. Tuffgong4

not it's not a copyrighted situation...they are working to update the program which they own in the first place...the only problem is that the people they paid to create it are really not around anymore and can't help them. they need to hire new engineers and make the program work with new technology...the only decompiler that I know of is IDA Pro but I am not into warez! and I don't have 399 dollars to buy the software. the demo version works really well but of course no save option !

by the way it's a portable execute file