Dead PC?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jonifen, Mar 20, 2003.

1. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

Firstly, the PC worked fine last night - no sign of dying or anything.

Today, the gf turned on her kids puter, and the screen came on as normal, but went off about 2 seconds later... PC remained on, but nothing came on the screen at all.

When I got home from work, I checked it, and its doing the same thing. It doesnt progress into loading WindowsXP (I would be able to tell by HDD sound and the activity light on the case).

It isnt so much a problem as I'm upgrading it at the weekend with my current p3 750mhz etc, but i would really like to find out what the problem is, and how I would go about sorting it.

I've replaced the psu - that was step #1 - no change

Anyway... specs are as follows:
    intel celeron 566mhz
    256mb pc-133 ram (2x 128mb)
    some poo skt370 mobo - i think its gigabyte - its like a ringed car - no markings lol - cant boot to run any apps to check either :/
    64mb gf2mx pci
    realtek rtl8139 pci nic
    48x cdrom
    20gb wd hdd

thanks for any advice given... much appreciated
  2. rettahc

rettahc Guest

Try clearing the BIOS.
  3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Did you check the graphics card?? Sounds like a pretty obvious first try to me...
  4. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

i tried the onboard intel 810 (i think its 810) and didnt change anything.

im upgradin the pc tomorrow... so ill av a proper mess with it after then - no hurry for it to work really...

i remember something similar on an old 486 of my mums, it did that and when the battery (on the mobo) was replaced, it worked fine - havent got a spare battery, and seeing as they're something like £3 each nearly, ill try it after upgrading lol