DDR Ram vs SDRAM

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mattg1981, May 13, 2002.

1. mattg1981

mattg1981 Guest

I have 512 MB of SyncDRAM but I heard DDR RAM is twice as fast. Is this true and what are the basic differences between the two? Also .. if it is twice as fast, does anybody know a good online store where you can purchase DDR ram for cheap?

2. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

DDR is twice as fast but your motherboard has to support it. And just go to www.pricewatch.com to find good deals on it

3. mattg1981

mattg1981 Guest

How do you tell?

How do I go about finding out if my motherboard would supported it?

sorry .. real hardware newb here .. dunno how to even find out what my current motherboard is.

I have a Compaq Presario 5330US if that helps at all.

4. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

Well is it supports sdram it wont support ddr. sorry

5. Nismo83

Nismo83 OSNN AZN Addict

In order to use DDR ram you need to get a new MOBO that supports it. Basically, DDR FSB is 266MHz while SD FSB is 100/133 MHz depends on the model u got. MOBO like ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte are relatively cheap in the market now.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Intel Pentium IV 1.5GHz
    Intel 850GB Chipset
    256 RD RAM (PC 800)
    Sound Blaster Live 5.1
    Maxtor 20GB ATA 100 HDD
    Gainward 64 MB GeForce2 MX 400 (should be in Musuem in a few months time or maybe now)
    52X Creative CD-ROM
    8X4X32 Creative CD-RW

6. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

There are some motherboards which support both. Easiest way is to look at the memory slots. If you have 2 notches inside the slot to locate them memory the its sdram, one and its DDR ram.

7. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

another great way to tell if it is DDR or SDR is to plug a DDR clip inside your memory slot... if it works... it is DDR.. if not... you've been jipped and you should than proceed to rant and rave for a few days... bar b q your neighbors cat while yer at it and there you go... voila... you're all set :)

but yeah you can tell I think by the number of nothces.. (I know jackall about that... just trusting my trusty copper here)

also if you are looking for a decent board get Asustek, Abit, gigabyte and MSI to name a few... asus and abit cost a bit more but have a reputation... as for the others they are fine mobo makers also... my friend just set his system up with all the bells and whistles, but 'only' 256 megs of DDR RAM and I have YET to see it glitch... even in the most intense scences of Max Payne, Deus Ex or RtCW... :D joy joy...