D: Drive not formatted message after upgrade from Win98SE to XP PRO

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by atrain01us, Aug 6, 2002.

1. atrain01us

atrain01us Guest

Hi all,

I have a problem I hope you can help with:

I have a pentium 4 2.0 pc with 768megs of ram that was running Win98SE. In it are 3 hd(C: 28 gig, D: 60 gig, and E: 80 gig). All are formatted as FAT32 and work fine.

I then upgraded th pc to WinXP Pro and the d: drive is listed in Windows Explorer but when I click on it, the system tells me that the D: driver is not formatted. But when I moved the D: drive to another physical connection, rebooted the pc, and checked on the same drive which now has a new drive letter(F: for example), it shows up as it should with it's full capacity listed. All the other drives have no problems.

Now I did not think of this as a possible bug until I tried upgrading a second machine with C: 40 gig FAT32 and D: 60 gig FAT32 hard drives. The same thing happened(D: drive not recognized as formatted FAT32 until moved to a different physical conection and assigned a new drive letter).

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what can be done to correct the problem? Is this a bug? If so, will it be corrected in the service pack soon to be released?

VICOUSA Guest

did you try to uninstall the drive from the device manager (add remove hard ware) and then restart your computer so that windows can recognize it
    i have the same problem with 30gb hd ,the computer read only one partition of 6 on that 30gb . itried this , it did not work for my case but it might help in yours